Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys ,

Just wondered if anybody else has come across this before & what the problem was. I have a brand new wiper switch in as I thought that may have been the problem seeing as it was very sticky but it was not. The wipers seem to only work at one speed & once the switch is turned off they seem to keep on running for a few revolutions. My auto electrical guy said to me wait to see how they go after the arms are fitted & there is some load on them from the blade on the glass as that may be what it is.

Anybody have any idea's as to what it is ?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Huh. Sounds like you're only activating the Washer Cycle. Camaro Wiper switches are different from one year to the next and even change during a production run. Your new switch is probably wired in reverse or differently then the old one even though they look the same. If your old switch is OK Clean it out with Rust Check and use it. If it's no good you will probably find the right combination by changing the leads around on the new switch or at the Wiper Motor.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Oh, yeah - it sounds like when you're turning it off you're bumping it into the washer cycle... don't you bump them left to do that and right for the 2 diff speeds? (sorry, I can't remember the last time I had to use the wipers :) - yes even in Oregon! For me rain = no driving the camaro! :))

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you push the knob in it automatically turns clockwise for the washers & turns the wipers onto the low speed , then one more click turns them onto the high speed is how they are supposed to work. Two clicks anti clockwise & they are supposed to be off.

The old switch did exactly the same thing as the new one does.

The switch does everything it is supposed to be doing but the motor is just not stopping straight away & does not seem to step up into second gear. There is no getting the wires mixed up as it is a plug that can only go on one way.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
It's possible the the arm on the Washer Pump Servo is broken or disconnected and not following the cam with in the Gear Drive. In this case there is no synchronization and the relay with in the unit will not control speed or shut off. Did you have the wiper and washer mechanism apart. If so on assembly you must position the arm with the slot on the servo star into the post that rides in the trough of the drive gear.

It's a rather complicated mess in there but if it's been apart at some time it may have been assembled wrong. I've seen a bad assembly cause the shut off locating hook to jam the Hi Speed and burn out the Hi Speed winding on the stator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts