Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a brand new wipers system- wiper motor, washer pump, and switch. Nothing happens when I twist the wiper switch, but the wipers will work while I hold the washer button, so I bought a new switch and it still does it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Is this a 67-68? If so I would guess you are not getting a good ground at the switch, it needs to have a good clean contact where it attaches to the dash. Mine did the same thing when I bought the car and the P/O had ground straps and crap all over, I just cleaned the contact surface and it worked fine. The other guess would be the switch but sounds like that is new.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes its a 67, and thanks I'll clean up the surface and try it. I suspected that and ran a wire from a good ground to the switch but nothing changed. I'll pull it tonight and give it a try thanks.

·
Retired
26,617 Posts
It sounds like the washer pump and wiper leads are reversed but bad grounds have caused more gremlins in these old cars than AMC built so give Seans suggestion a try.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well its definitely getting a good ground.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Correct you are DJD, the leads were on wrong. I can see clearly now.... Thanks again.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Nice! Sometimes it's the easiest thing, thanks for posting back the solution!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this is an old post, but it is exactly the problem I am having. I do not fully understand what is meant by reversing the leads? I am attaching a photo of my set-up and maybe you can help me understand more specifically what I need to reverse.

Thanks, Hank

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks, but I looked a bit closer and found that the brown connector only fits on the squirter pump it is larger than the black one. So, I'm fairly certain the wiring is right. If there was a ground issue with the wiper switch, them wouldn't it also be an issue when trying to operate the wiper in squirter mode? In other words, if the wiper does not come on in just wiper mode due to a ground problem, then it should not come on in squirter mode. The wipers do come on in squirter mode. Is that logical. If so, I am figuring that the switch has gotten tired and needs replacing. Thoughts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, just wanted to close this issue out. Ended up buying a new wiper switch. Replaced the old one this weekend and everything in the world is right again! What a relief! Cheers to all. Henry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts