Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
15,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wiper motor doesn't have any parts of the washer unit on it. Remember I got the car in boxes. I've got what look like the correct squirters and they were mounted under the cowl.

Was the windshield washer an option? The chassis manual pictures and text aren't very helpful in determining whether the two can come apart and stay that way, but it does say that the washer is "driven directly by the wiper motor." I don't see anyway for the washer assembly to be driven by the motor if I was to attach one.

·
Registered
500 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the washers were standard equipment. Someone may have changed the wiper motor or just removed the washer pump. I'm pretty sure the resto houses or maybe even GM still carry both.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
no expert on this, but i'm sure it was a standard deal. on the front (facing toward front of car) of the wiper motor there should be a little star shaped wheel that turns when the wipers are on. thats where the pump goes. the little wheel drives the pump. the pump is just a little black box with hose ends on the bottom, it screws right onto the motor. hope that helps

·
15,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm..... that's what I thought too. I didn't think windshield washers would be an option.

It's the correct motor for sure. Just missing the washer assembly. It must have all been removed and I can't see where any of it would have attached to the firewall plate. I'll look at it again and see if there's some way to reattach the parts. If not, I'll snag one somewhere.
Thanks

·
15,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it... I never tried to turn that short shaft sticking up. Whatta ya know.... it turns. I always thought it was a 'cap' for a shaft INSIDE the assembly. I already painted the unit and it must have been stuck.

Thanks Kevin.

Will I be able to just get the whole washer assembly or will there be parts like that gear that fits the shaft separately? The manual doesn't say how the gear is attached. It must be press-fit?
I need to know whether I should spend the time piecing it together or get a new wiper\washer.

·
11,293 Posts
Joe, the star just is a snug fit. You put it on and take it off with your hand (or a little gentle prying). There is a flat part on the shaft that lines the star up. I know you can get the washer separately, but I don't know about the gear. I just cannibalize my spares. Swap meets usually have some wiper/washers that you can use to get yours in shape.

Luck, Kevin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts