Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my MSD distributor cap is in the way of installing the factory wire gutter on the firewall. All the photos I see online have the gutter with a complete MSD ignition System. Am i missing something here. I don't care to have the wires just drapped across the back behind the distributor. The gutter actually hits the top of the distributor and the boots. I have the MSD Ready to Run distributor with the tips showing and a 90 degree boot. I guess it is non HEI cap. What can I do, do they sell a lower profile cap or something?

------------------
68 Camaro RS, Built 355, 274 Comp Cam, Sportsman II Heads 200 c.c. 2.02. Ported to Performer RPM Manifold and 1.75" Headers, 1.5 Roller Rockers, 650 Holley, Steel Crank, 4.11 Gears but no posi yet! TH350 tranny w/ shift kit.

·
Registered
448 Posts
It sounds to me that the gutter on your car has been moved too low. My 69 I run an MSD ignition and the gutter is held with 2 screws up at the top of the firewall.Its a good 3 to 4 inches above the cap.

------------------
Black 69 camaro

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Hey Eric, I am running an MSD RtR distibutor also and it clears my wiring gutter. I agree with the above post...sounds like someone moved it down...

------------------
Steve - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my webpage ---> My Camaros (updated 11/5/01)

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see the two factory holes and I ordered a gutter from Ricks. It just won't fit. I honestly think this distributor is taller than other distributors. I have the cap with the brass terminals showing and the Super Stock Accel wires with a little thicker boot going over the terminals. There is know way it will fit. I can send a picture to somebody tonight or tomorrow. Do they make a low profile cap from MSD or something. Thanks, Erik

------------------
68 Camaro RS, Built 355, 274 Comp Cam, Sportsman II Heads 200 c.c. 2.02. Ported to Performer RPM Manifold and 1.75" Headers, 1.5 Roller Rockers, 650 Holley, Steel Crank, 4.11 Gears but no posi yet! TH350 tranny w/ shift kit.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Do you have your engine mounted on the taller engine pads?

·
Retired
26,644 Posts
eric - send the pic to [email protected] and I can post it. If it's already on the web let us know and we can link to it.

The wire molding should be right at the top of the firewall and the way you describe the dist terminals it sounds like your hood shouldn't be able to close without hitting the cap and plug wires...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going to e-mail the pics of the wire gutter so people can see what I am talking about, it just doesn't fit.

------------------

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I sent photos to the administrator and hopefully he will upload them to see my situation. I would love to use the wire gutter to clean things up. Later, Erik

------------------

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I emailed you some photos of my wrie gutter problems, your username and email name are alittle different so I hope you got one of them. Thanks, erik

------------------

·
Retired
26,644 Posts
My GM small body doesn't sit up near as high as your dist does. If not maybe it isn't seated right the clamp looks like it's cocked to the left in the lower shot when I magnify it with accessability tools in windows.

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

[This message has been edited by DjD (edited 02-05-2002).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts