Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been hashed a few times, but....

First, please don't tell me to buy a complete harness. I just want to get mine looking and functioning as new.

The wrap is easy. But, I cannot find a source for exact matches of the "routing clips", i.e. those little black or brown (mine has some of both) push in clips that are attached to the harness via the tap, along with each clip being stapled to a longer piece of plastic for stability.

Surely someone has a source. There are two main types. Straight and offset. There is an offset one in the tail lamp harness and another one in the engine harness between the two horn wires. I would be happy with either brown or black.

Already tried auveco. They have a gray one that is close on the straight clips, but would like a brown or black one.

Rick's sells an offset one for $3.99 each. The ones I have found from suppliers are normally 25 to a box for around 12 bucks. Just haven't found the supplier that makes the ones that Rick's sells.

Apparently the clips we need are identical to the ones used in 60's Fords, except the ford version is opaque white. This guy says a black reproduction is available, but I can't find it:
http://www.deadnutson.com/catalog/item/4065497/3873071.htm

·
Premium Member
13,887 Posts
Lynn you may get a better response if you tell us what year you have.

Roger

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 69, but I believe these clips were common for several years.

I have seen posts claiming they were all dark brown. Mine definitely has both black and brown.

Attached is a bip of one of my originals. Has the numbers 7 and 9 embossed on one side.

I believe Packard supplied most of the electrical, and I am guessing that is the packard number. Kind of like most of the electrical terminals are packard series 56 that snap in to the connectors.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, maybe it isn't a series 79. One of the other clips (a brown one) has a 2 and a 4 on it. Then again, maybe that is a series 24 clip.

I just know that no one seems to reproduce these.

Attachments

·
11,460 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kevin:

All good sites with lots of good little parts.
I had already been on all of those. None of them offer a black or brown clip like the one we are looking for. The Delphi 12010340 is the one everyone wants to sell as the replacement. I could live with it if it were black or brown, but it appears it only comes in gray.

Most vendors refer to this as a "routing clip" although a few do call it a "tape on wire harness clip" as you found. Lectric Liimited must have some that are the correct color, even though they aren't an exact match, because their "factory fit" series harnesses have dark clips installed. At least the part that shows will be close.

However, their web site says they don't sell individual parts. They do have a new division that sells parts, but when I went to purchase, it simply says the site is "under construction", so no luck with that.

The pic of the clip at deadnutson shows the exact same clip shape in white. He also states that the clip is available repro in black, but doesn't state where.

I even tried a couple of Mustang resto shops seeing if I could find the repro black one he was talking about because that would work fine for me.

The search continues.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Well ... :rolleyes: ... you could just paint the Mustang part black/brown and use those :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually, the Mustang part pictured is NOT a repro part. It is an original and very scarce. The description states that the part is reproduced in black. So... if that reproduction part really is being made, I would be happy to buy a bunch and use them.

The white ones are all 45 or so years old.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I am curious why the exact original for such a small non noticible part? I have been there as well. Have you tried a junk yard for an old harness to rob. I have gotten many hard to find aftermarket stuff in a junk yard and I would suspect 60's GM harnesses have the same part. . . .my 69 Chevy truck has those clips. I just got a Nova with a lot of small parts for my Camaro restoration.

·
11,460 Posts
bruce, some us are just crazy (like me) and want to know that a part is as close to the factory as possible. Even though most of it cannot be seen, we know it is there and it would bug us if not correct. i.e. I had a local rad shop solder the harrison end plates to a repro heater core, no one will ever see it, but I know its there :D

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Actually, the Mustang part pictured is NOT a repro part. It is an original and very scarce.
Lynn, the ones I bought are like these and are readily available ;)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/79-81-83-85...80-82-84-86-88-90-92-/140913161922#vi-content

... cannot find them at HBC.
... I did however, come up with a solution. Posted on the yenko site.
Ol' Heartattack City doesn't carry them, but will sell you "replacements" ...

I've ground a few of the Dorman/HELP parts down myself - but dang near took a fingernail off :p

You can also find the black plastic OEM type in the 60's Mustang Engine Harness Retainer kit - but ... you only get two for $15 :eek:
Link - https://www.mustangsunlimited.com/i...ing+Harnesses/Acessories/Repair&CatKey=Cougar

bruce, some us are just crazy...
:D
I've been called another word (starts with 'A') a time or two also :rolleyes:
I've taken 'Wrecking Yard Crawls' just to stock up on parts like this.
(Free TC Hint - go straight to the 'Truck' section and hit all the Vans, they used tons of them on those :yes: )

As always JMHO's

1 - 20 of 25 Posts