Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 69 with manual transmission and want to put a simple cutout switch that I could activate/deactivate to not allow the starter to work. I understand that not all manual cars had the clutch safety switch that requires you to depress the clutch to start the car but I do understand that the wire for this is purple and I wonder if it is in the cluster of looped wires attached to the bottom of the steering wheel. I want to cut this wire and add in a switch.

1)Is this the correct wire?
2) Is there much current flow in this wire or is it simply one of the inputs to a relay that allows the starter to engage? (do I need a high amp switch)

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Hi ttwo

I took a few Pictures as I still have not installed my Wiring harness and I thought I could get you a Picture.

I pulled both the Ignition Plug close to the Firewall Wiring Harness Disconnect to show the 12 Ga. Purple wire with the White Tracer that goes from the Ignition Switch to the Firewall Disconnect than to your Neutral Safety Switch I guess at your Trans.

On my Car, I have a Floor mounted Automatic Shifter so it runs from the Steering Column Ignition Switch to the Shifter, from the Shifter to the Firewall Disconnect, from the Firewall Disconnect (Engine Side) up over and down to the Starter.

I have also tried to find out the Current flow for this Circuit, I read where it was between 30 and 35 amp draw – Not sure if that it 100% true but is the reason this Wire/ Circuit is a 12 Ga. Wire.

I am running a Mini Starter and was told the Current Draw for these was less – Still running the 12 Ga. Wire for my install.

Timmy

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I just can imagine that the clutch pedal switch would have such a large wire. I wonder if it is the same wire that you have there. I am looking at the purple wire on the diagram below lower middle part of the picture connecting to the 'clutch petal operated switch.' I would figure that it would simply engage a relay rather than run the full current to the starter. it very well could be but then do you know what the flat wire group is the is on the underside of the steering column?

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Hi ttwo
I am stepping out on kid of thin Ice, I am not an Expert, I just have been really searching and figuring out what I need.

And talking with Mark at MAD Electronics for quite some time a few months ago, I asked him the Same Question - Why is that Wire a 12 Ga. that runs from the Ignition Switch all the way for my Car to the Starter Solenoid ? He explained to me how GM designed their Electrical systems and some of the design does not make sense with today’s parts and systems.

The Ford Style Starter Solenoid was a better way of managing the Hi Amp switch Remotely with a lower Amp/ Gauge wire – Sorry I had to admit that :eek:

It’s like 12 - 15’ or more on my car with the Console - That is why, it’s a "Too long of a run" and does carry a lot of Amperage, which I also tried to get a Value for How much Amperage Runs thru this Purple Wire just to Close the Cranking Circuit ?

I came up with about 30 – 35 Amps (Do not know if this is accurate) but I figured I would Not try and go down on the Wire Diameter and chance a problem.

This is Not the Starter/ Battery Cable side we are talking about, this is the “S” side of the Starter Solenoid.

Also, the “Flat Wire group” I know it as the Harmonica Connector is labeled “Directional Signal Switch Connector” on your Wiring Diagram and is Not a part if the Ignition/ Starting system, those wires are Turn, Brake and so on.

The Ignition Switch has a large 12 Ga. Red supplying current from the Bus Bar on the Horn Relay thru the Firewall Harness disconnect to the Ignition Switch, out is the Pink 12 Ga. To supply Power to the Fuse Box and the Purple 12 Ga. that runs thru the Neutral Safety Switch and then to the “S” Post on the Starter Solenoid.

Pic of my Harmonica Connector - None of this is for the Starting Circuit. The 14 Ga. Purple coming out is for the 4 Way Hazard Flasher supply.
Timmy

Attachments

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
A 69 had either a clutch switch or a neutral/park switch depending on trans type. In either case, a 12ga purple/white runs from the ign switch (top of column, close to firewall) to the safety switch, and 12ga solid purple runs from the safety switch to the "S" terminal on the solenoid. A relay would work, but a switch rated for the current would be a simpler install.

This solution won't foil a thief with a little knowledge and a screwdriver who can get the hood open.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts