Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have a 68 Camaro. Got a new cd player and speakers as a gift. I want to mount the cd player under the dash.. I don't want to change out the original radio (which doesn't work). Does anyone have or know where I can get wiring instructions in order to do this? There is no wiring from the original radio.

Thanks very much!

Jo

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Get one of those cd changers with the tuner built in. It's got a keypad that you stash up by the console. It's got a backlit LCD display on it. Put the changer / tuner on the back of your subwoofer cabinet!
:D

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Most new name brand radio's are sticking with more of a standard wiring color code HOWEVER not all brands do so. It would be best to verify what wire does what to reduce the chances of damage to your new unit.
With that being said, I would run new wires to the location of your new speakers. The radio will probably have an ignition 12V power wire and a battery 12V power wire and may possibly have an illumination wire. These wires can go directly to the fuse block unless (like on some of the newer high powered radio's) the battery 12V line may have to go directly to the battery. Again this is why the owner/installation instructions should be used.
The radio should also have a ground wire that needs to be connected to a clean bare metal spot behind the dash like the firewall and if you can, use a locking nut and a bolt. Self tap screws are OK but may vibrate loose.
The existing antenna lead can be unplugged off of the factory radio and plugged right into the new one. Be careful when you remove the plug from the old radio. I've had them come apart before. Not often but enough to say something about it.
When you mount the radio there should be metric threaded holes in the side to atach your own brackets onto and make sure the unit is mounted solidly to the car to reduce the chances of the CD skipping.
Jim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi again. Thanks for responding. The problem we are having is that there is no wiring harness.. no existing wires there to hook the new cd deck up to. Does this mean it needs to be wired into the fuse box? whats the best way to hook this thing up? Thanks for your help! Much appreciated!

Jo

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just did this on my 69 camaro and it is very easy. Ijust bought my camaro and installed a radio with a cd/mp3 player and was wondering about the positive wires and where they would hook to. The fuse box actually has lugs that are there for accessories. Hopefully it is the same on you 68. Look at the fuse box and you will see four lugs between the fuses. There is a bank of fuses on the left, lugs in the middle, and a bank on the right. You can go to Home Depot and get the female connectors to fit the male lugs. Get the blue ones (18 guage I think). Use an volt meter to see which on is hot and which one is hot when the key is on. Then connect the hot wire from your radio (yellow on most) and the hot wire when the key is on (I think it is red). The connect the black one to any metal ground on the body. Run your speakers, hook up the antenna and your done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi! Just wanted to thank everyone for their responses! We will try what was suggested!

Jo

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well its a great day!! Just wanted to thank you all for your advice on hooking up this new cd deck. The pros told us it would take about 5 hours.. well us non-pros (me and hubby) did it in 6 and yes we are still married.. and not a rotten word was spoken.. well not to each other. What we did was what malticefalcon did!! Thanks to you all.. it sounds awesome. And now my husband doesn't have to listen to me sing!

Jo

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wanted to add... we used an amplified under the dash type of antenna.. only we mounted on the passenger side windshield post.. hardly notice it and the reception we get is great. So if anyone was ever wondering about using one I would say go ahead and try it out.

Jo

·
Registered
565 Posts
I actually didn't know they had stations on the air up there in Canada... wait... maybe the antenna is there to pick them up at far distances, like from Brazil, or Russia... where IS Canada, anyway?

Just kidding. Glad it worked out. You've inspired me to hook up a new system for my 67.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We sure do Jethro.. amazing huh? Andddd.. most of us speak English too.. lol

Good luck with the installation on your system!!

Jo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts