Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I need some info on how to correctly wire my electric fan.

I have a relay that I pick up ignition power from the remote solenoid. I pick battery power from the horn relay. Output (+) wire runs to the fan. My temp sensor is a Flex-a-lite adjsutable unit. I run the ground wire from the relay to the "C" postion on the switch. This I believe provides a ignition controlled power source. I then run a fused (+) positive source to the "2" position.

IS this correct.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Re: wiring a electric fan with a relay

AH32 said:
I need some info on how to correctly wire my electric fan.

I have a relay that I pick up ignition power from the remote solenoid. I pick battery power from the horn relay. Output (+) wire runs to the fan. My temp sensor is a Flex-a-lite adjsutable unit. I run the ground wire from the relay to the "C" postion on the switch. This I believe provides a ignition controlled power source. I then run a fused (+) positive source to the "2" position.

IS this correct.
I don't believe it is. What kind of relay are you using? Does it have numbers or letters on the relay terminals? Is your Flex-a-lite adjustable temp sensor part# 31148? Heres how to wire it correctly using a Bosch style relay (numbers), and a Flex-a-lite adjustable temp sensor part# 31148, if you want the fan controlled by the key (key off fan off) Also see pics below

For relay
86, to IGN terminal at fuse box
85, to ground
30, from horn relay
87, to terminal 2 at adjustable temp sensor

For adjustable temp sensor
2, to terminal 87 at relay
C, to fan positive

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

By wiring it that way woul I be running power for the fans thru the switch? I would think that would burn up the switch.

Can you wire power for the fans through the relay and just use the fan switch to turn off an on the relay?

Is so, would not the wiring be different?

·
Registered
453 Posts

AH32 said:
By wiring it that way would I be running power for the fans thru the switch? I would think that would burn up the switch.
Are you referring to the manual switch in the Flex-a-lite instructions? Yes, power for the fans goes through the switch. No, I wouldn't use it. It would only give manual on control, no off control via the switch.
AH32 said:
Can you wire power for the fans through the relay and just use the fan switch to turn off an on the relay?
Is so, would not the wiring be different?
Depends on what kind of manual control you want or need. Jut on control, just off control, regardless of temp, regardless of key pos? Putting a switch on the relay coil (85 or 86) would only give off control, no on control. If you want manual control, determine want kind you want first as it will determine how to wire everything.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Well, i'm really not interested in manuel control. However, it would be nice to be able to run the fan while in the staging lane. Car is mainly a cruiser.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Say I wanted on and off control in the staging lanes when the temp bot to around 200*.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Re-read your post. Yes, I would say I would want on and off ability reguardless of temp and key position.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Greg, checked the relay, nothing on it. I wired it the following way. Ground to Ground, Wire to get ignition is off solenoid. Wire to get battery power comes from junction box. Output wire would run to fan. I guess this wire could run to the switch as you mentioned, but I'm afaird I would burn the switch up.

It is same adjustable unit you have listed.

·
Registered
453 Posts

Like anything else, there is more than one way to skin a cat. Diagram 1

Here the relay has entire control of the fan. The temp controller is used on the low amp coil part of the circuit and the indash switch is a 3 position switch with 2 on positions and a off position. In the off position, fan is off regardless of temp and key position. In on 1 position (the normal position) getting IGN power, the fan only comes on when the key is on and temp is over your preset value. Fan turns off whenever temp drops or key is turned off. In on position 2, getting battery power, fan comes on regardless of temp and key position.

Diagram 2

Here is one with 2 relays and the indash switch is just a simple on/off indash switch.
The fan only comes on when the key is on and temp is over your preset value. Fan turns off whenever temp drops or key is turned off. The indash switch turns the fan on regardless of temp and key position, and only off if the key is off, or key on and below temp.(if the key is on and above temp, fan will stay on)

There are several other variations that can be use too. In any case, make sure battery power is isolated from IGN power. If it is not, it can backfeed (basically power bypassing your key switch) and keep the car running after the key is turned off. Be sure everything is fused close to where you are getting power from (battery and IGN power)

Correction, in the diagrams 86 is power and 85 is ground

·
Registered
453 Posts

undee72Z said:
Like anything else, there is more than one way to skin a cat. Diagram 1

Here the relay has entire control of the fan. The temp controller is used on the low amp coil part of the circuit and the indash switch is a 3 position switch with 2 on positions and a off position. In the off position, fan is off regardless of temp and key position. In on 1 position (the normal position) getting IGN power, the fan only comes on when the key is on and temp is over your preset value. Fan turns off whenever temp drops or key is turned off. In on position 2, getting battery power, fan comes on regardless of temp and key position.
I was helping another member about questions on the switch... Not all on/off/on toggle switches are made the same, the type of switch that has to be used is the kind that does not buss all the terminals in any on position, and 2 of the terminals are never bussed in any on position. If they are and the switch is in that on position battery power will back feed into ignition power and when the key is turned off, the car can keep running assuming a fuse doesn't blow. Battery power must always be isolated from ignition power. Always check your switch with a meter before using. The type of switch below will work, Conduct Tite part# 85919. For wiring one "on acc" terminal gets battery power, the other "on acc" terminal gets ignition power through the adj temp controler. Supply volts is out to 86 on the relay

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

This thread should be a sticky..

·
Registered
656 Posts

I am getting ready to wire my electric fans and did some searching and found this thread. I want to wire it like post 11 diagram 2. But I have a question about this wiring diagram. It shows the dash switch relay terminal 85 to 87. That doesn't seem right. I would think 85 would be connected to 30. It looks like the poster Greg isn't around anymore. Can anyone else tell me if this is correct?

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
With it wired as shown, the dash switch will only serve to keep the fan running continuously once it is turned on by the temperature control. If you turn the dash switch off with the temperature circuit open, the fan will turn off and you will not be able to latch it on until the temperature circuit is closed and the fan is energized again.

If you connect 85 to 30, you will be able to turn the fan on at any time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ok!
I see it is an Old thread but!

I have drawn an example i think is better for you guys!

As you may see, i turned ewerything around, and im switching the GND to the Relay!
This gives a couple of advantages!
*GND is avalable ewerywhere
*If something goes wrong with wire (insulation fault/burnt hole) the Fans Starts instead of blowing the Fuse.
*Less wire to Run equils cleaner installation.
*Easy to hook up more switches to run fan (overheat frotection, EFI, cheap switches threaded into Engine with only ONE wire on it!

It goes like this:
On the +12v supply to relay from Battery i made an dotted line, if you make this Connection Fan will be functioning regardless of Ignition is ON or OFF!
If you choose to conect to Ignition, just do so (+ 12V switched power)

The GND for the Relay is now the switched part!
As you can see there is only ONE Wire out to Ground (less wire is good)
This wire you can connect to the Thermostat control, manual switch inside Car!
Some aftermarket EFI has an Output for Fan, (in my case FAST Ez-EFI)
This ECU goes to GND when activated!

The cheapest temp warning switches with only one wire goes to GND!

On the indicatorlight you can connect that to the same therminal, and oposite side to Illumination wire inDash (you can now controll brightness)

There is NO way of STOPPING the Fan now with Toggle switch!
(Cant see the point in that by the way)

http://www.fastmanefi.com/images/FAST Man EFI EZ-EFI Instructions.pdf

Here is described how to hookup the Ez-EFI

LarsPerformance

·
19,866 Posts
Mounting the relay on the cord support. Where are you getting keyed power?
At the horn relay I think is where I got mine from.....been awhile now :eek: (or was it the voltage regulator) :clonk:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts