Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I apologize in advance for having so many questions. I've tried searching and couldn't find the answers, so I decided to ask my fellow Camaroians.
I've got a few questions after a day of head scratching. I'm doing a column to floor shifter conversion. I purchased two harnesses in order to do this. The console conversion harness (Rick's 6806) and a console harness (with factory gauges)

(1) Is 6806 the right harness for me? On the conversion harness there are two connectors, 1 plugs into to console harness, what does the other side plug into?

(2) Since I'm using a B&M shifter, what do I do with two lights that go under the shifter. The B&M comes with a light connection which I could tap into for 1. Also, any ideas on how to do neutral/backlight with B&M?

(3) Where do the ground wires hook up to the gauges? Also, does it matter which way the amp meter connection goes on? Does black/white wire need to be on a certain prong?

(4) Why does the lower gauge (oil and fuel) have a hole in the center that looks similar to the bulb holes?

Finally, why are there no instructions that come with the actual gauges?
If anyone is in the Philly/Wilmington DE area and want to tackle this job I'll make it worth you while. The pride of doing this job on my own has official flew the coop.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
I apologize in advance for having so many questions. I've tried searching and couldn't find the answers, so I decided to ask my fellow Camaroians.
I've got a few questions after a day of head scratching. I'm doing a column to floor shifter conversion. I purchased two harnesses in order to do this. The console conversion harness and a console harness (with factory gauges)

(1) On the conversion harness there are two connectors, 1 plugs into to console harness, what does the other side plug into?

(2) Since I'm using a B&M shifter, what do I do with two lights that go under the shifter. The B&M comes with a light connection which I could tap into for 1. Also, any ideas on how to do neutral/backlight with B&M?

(3) Where do the ground wires hook up to the gauges? Also, does it matter which way the amp meter connection goes on? Does black/white wire need to be on a certain prong?

(4) Why does the lower gauge (oil and fuel) have a hole in the center that looks similar to the bulb holes?

If anyone is in the Philly/Wilmington DE area and want to tackle this job I'll make it worth you while. The pride of doing this job on my own has official flew the coop.

Thanks!
I'll try to awnser the best I can..

(1) On the conversion harness there are two connectors, 1 plugs into to console harness, what does the other side plug into?

I believe the other is the neutral safety switch that gets connected to the stock shifter like this _I

You could tap into it. Does your shifter have a switch for backup and neutral?

I just grounded to one gauge and made sure all were grounded together. I didn't connect my Amp gauge.

What do you mean? Pics? Maybe it is the bulb hole? The oil pressure is mechanical and needs a line connected to it. is that what you mean?

Do ALOT of searches here. Thats how I learned. I don't have instructions, I'm sure you can find some here.

Here's one for you Jim.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think my problem might be Rick's sold me the wrong harness. I ordered (based on their recommendation) 6806, which is console conversion cable for console shift. I think I need 6809, which is for column shift. My car was column shift, I'm converting to floor shift. I replaced steering column as well. What's the difference between these cables?

That might answer question #1.

Marc,
#2 - My shifter does have switches for backup light / neutral, the connectors on the harness are different though.
#3 - I grounded one on the top and other on the bottom.
#4 - It does look like a bulb hole, but I don't think the bottom would have 3 bulbs. Would it?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Here's one for you Jim.
Well, I allready sent him everything I have via email, last week.

The gauge console harness will have all the wiring for the gauges and shifter, including the neutral safety switch and backup light switch, as far as the console connector in the dahs harness. The conversion harness should take it from there.

The conversion harness should have what you need to bring the "extra wires" from the gauges where they need to go. Bear in mind I've never actually seen one, only read the direction sheet that I emailed you. What you're describing seems odd tho. I've always pictured in my head basically a bunch of wires and terminals.

If your car was originally a column shift car, the conversion harness for a floor shift car would not address the nuetral safety and backup light switches, it expects them to all ready be in the console connector.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts