Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I am rewiring my alternator with an external regulator. I am using the 1969 wiring diagram to hook everything up. Can you tell me what the black dot means (circled in red)? [Click here for diagram]

If I had to guess, I'd say those wires are connected at that point. But I want to be sure.

Thanks! Chris

------------
1969 X-22

·
Registered
348 Posts
The bottom one in the circle shows a junction, or connection, the one in the top of the circle, is a fusible link ( available at your local Napa store )

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bottom one in the circle shows a junction, or connection, the one in the top of the circle, is a fusible link ( available at your local Napa store )
Thansk Amptech, couple questions:

- Is the junction wrapped up with factory tape and under the radiator support?

- Do you know what AMP size is used for the fusible link? Or if I really need one?

·
Super Moderator
32,523 Posts
The junction is wrapped with OE tape and it will be a crimp.
Fusible links are two wire gauge sizes smaller than the service wire, i.e., service wire is 12 AWG, fusible link is 16 AWG, 4-6 inches in length.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The junction is wrapped with OE tape and it will be a crimp.
Fusible links are two wire gauge sizes smaller than the service wire, i.e., service wire is 12 AWG, fusible link is 16 AWG, 4-6 inches in length.
I guess i was thinking a fusible link was some type of inline fuse.

So the top circle in the diagram is just saying that the 12 gauge wire is connected to the 16 gauge wire?

·
Super Moderator
32,523 Posts
I was using 12 & 16 as an example. I believe the red wires up front are 10 AWG, so the fusible link would be 14 AWG.

The pic is small for me to read, I'm over 40, so I'm going by memory.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Seems like their might be a picture of that splice in the what it is where it is sticky.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts