Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a little confused about all the wiring harnesses involved in my LS1 swap into my 68 Camaro convertible. I have the original wiring harness and computer from the 2004 Corvette LS1 engine and I have the American Auto Wire complete car harness. This has to control my 4L80E transmission also. Do I need to buy any other harnesses? A trans harness? A stand alone custom harness? Can I use what I have and make everything work? Just wondering....
Thanks!

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,649 Posts
You can use the AAW harness for your car wiring. Did you buy the Classic update one or original style? If you have the classic update one, then there is a PCM Bat and Ign wires that you can use to power your LS harness. As for the factory harness, you can either remove all of the inapplicable wiring, send it off to someone to do it or sell the harness (not pcm) and buy one already to install on your motor. Was the corvette a manual or auto harness? Auto Corvettes came with 4L60E, I believe the 4L80E trans has a different plug. Honestly, if I had an original style vette harness, I would sell it and buy one that will fit your setup. By the time you send it off (or remove the unusable wiring), you could spend many hours trying to convert it. You might also have to buy a 4L60 to 4l80 wiring harness connector plug/harness. Here is some info on the swap someone else did- http://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/699277-whats-needed-4l60e-4l80e-swap.html

http://lt1swap.com/4l60e_4l80e_harness.htm

Hope that helps you out.

·
14,271 Posts
04 Vettes came with 4L60E.

The Vette tranny is made to work with a torque tube and so far as I know not compatible in doing a swap.

Personally I'd sell the harness and ECM and buy a custom and ECM for PSI or another company.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I agree on using a PSI harness instead. You can repin the trans connector to run a 4L80E if you're dead set on using the C5 harness, but will also need a segment swap in the OS to run the trans properly. Some have hardwired relays in to reverse the logic as required for the shift solenoids, but changing the OS is simpler IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought the AAW Classic Update series harness. The Corvette that provided my LS1 engine was mated to an automatic..

·
14,271 Posts
I bought the AAW Classic Update series harness. The Corvette that provided my LS1 engine was mated to an automatic..
LS1 was mated to a 4L60E and you have a 4L80E.

Is that correct?

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,649 Posts
John, he has a 04 LS1 and bought a 4l80E to go with it (first post). Something for the OP to think about the 4l80s is that their stock converters eat a good amount of HP. You might consider getting an aftermarket one. Just curious, why go with the 80 instead of a 60/65 for just a cruiser?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts