Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I intend to replace all of my old, and very worn wiring. I am adding a Vintage Air system to a non-AC car, updraded stereo system, power windows, HEI, single wire alternator, and high intensity headlights. Do you think I should buy factory replacement harnesses, or go with a painless style replacement, or some other option that I'm not aware of. The old harness could be canibalized for connectors and terminals, but I'm not really sure how many are in good shape. I want the final result to be a clean installation with as little fuss as possible. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I like M&H wiring harnesses. I've never had any problems with the wires not fitting correctly. They are a good quality company.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Call American Autowire and speak w/one of their techs. They'll tell you what your best options are. In many cases, they can make a custom harness for you that does everything you want.

All my harnesses w/the exception of the rear had to be replaced and their stuff was top notch. They even did some custom upgrades that look 100% stock. Strong after the sale support too!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
JimM said:
Amercian autowire classic update series
Yep thats what I used in my hot rod works good! Also have Autowires factory fit in my restored car

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I went with the AAW Classic Update Kit, because I didn't care about originality in that area.

http://www.americanautowire.com/products/classic_series_kits.cfm#CUK5

Good quality wire, well labeled both on the wires and in the supplied diagrams, and great tech support. Plus it was half the price of full OE style replacement harnesses. It's not plug and play like the OE styles, but it's not impossible with basic skills.

For sure you want to call someone like Ray at AAW and describe what you want to do. The only things on your list I'm not certain are covered with the Update Harness are the power windows and the HID (if you're going true high intensity) lights.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts