Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my American Auto Wire wiring harness today (Classic Update Kit for 67). Any words of advice before I start working on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
I found taking some digital pictures before removing the old one helps. Ya know in case the wife interupts and wants you to take out the trash, or a buddy stops by and ya get into the brewskis.:beers:

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
I found taking some digital pictures before removing the old one helps. Ya know in case the wife interupts and wants you to take out the trash, or a buddy stops by and ya get into the brewskis.:beers:
I've heard of guys running the old and new harnesses in parallel during the install and for each old connection you unplug you re-plug with the new one. Before pictures are also a great idea. I do that all the time and it kept me from scratching my head many times. Also makes great documentation of before and after comparisons.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Take Mike's advice and buy a good set of racheting crimpers. I found a nice kit on ebay for around $70, they worked great. Let us know if you have any questions.

Clint

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Also you might as well call AAW and have them send you some extra connectors! It's fairly straight forward but if you've never used one of those ratchet crimpers before, it can be a trial and error process :sad:. I'm in the process of doing my 67 too. I just finished with the tail lights and the RS back up lights. now I'm moving towards the front of the car.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input guys. I've done some electrical work over the years with my job, and I've always used standard wire crimpers. To be honest i've never heard of racheting crimpers. Can you usually find a pair locally at a Lowes or Sears. There are a couple of electrical supply houses around town maybe I can find a pair there. Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I just got done wiring my '69 with AAW's classic update. I started with the rear harness and worked my way up to the dash and then the engine compartment. I used my T&B crimper (I'm an electrician). I suggest using the practice terminals they supply before taking on the real ones if you have any reservations. Go to your local auto supply store and get some dielectric grease and use it sparingly on the wires before crimping. After crimping, pull gently on the connector to ensure you have a good crimp. Take your time and ask questions here or call AAW, or Frank at Prodigy Customs. They both offer great tech support. Feel free to PM me and I will be happy to help, since I just got done with mine. And most importantly TAKE YOUR TIME! Don't be in a hurry :D Kevin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts