Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a strange question. Putting a wiring harness in a 69 Z. Completely stock. My Z has an HEI conversion and harness has been modified, so I haven't a clue as to what goes where.
There are two wires that are in the coil area, one Brown and a white wire with red stripes along with a yellow wire attached? I think the brown is the negative side of the coil and the white/red and yellow the positive side of the coil. At the end of the harness there's a purple and a yellow wire that go to the starter, but where? It's a stock harness from Classic Industries. Also the distributor has a single black wire coming from it? Is this negative for the coil??? Any help would be great. I tried using my Z as a reference but it's way different than this.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I don't know about the HEI stuff, but a brown wire does go to the negative side of the coil if you have a tach....Not sure if it's the same brown wire that you are looking at though.

The purple and yellow wire do go to the stock type starter...If I remember right the big fat purple one goes to the terminal closest to the block and the yellow goes to outside terminal. The yellow wire on a stock type distributor also went back to the positive side of the coil. I think this was to give more juice to the coil at startup.

When I had my stock distributor a black wire did go from the distributor to the negative side of the coil.

I have since converted to an HEI and a mini starter. That means that the yellow wire(from the starter to the coil) was removed and taped. The black wire(from the distributor to the coil) is no longer present. The only thing that's left is a new big fat red wire from the "ignition on" portion of the fuse block to the "+" on the HEI. The brown wire that goes to the tach and to the "tach" terminial of the HEI and the big fat purple wire from the nuetral safety switch to the mini starter.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help! I'll have to look at his starter again, make sure it's stock. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Don't worry about the starter....The key point is if you have an external coil or not. An HEI means no need for the yellow wire from the starter to the coil...only the big fat purple one and of course the even fatter red one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts