Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

So has anyone has any experience with Painless wiring harnesses? I will be rewiring the entire '67 camaro and am wonderig if the Painless stuff is appropriately named or is it too far from OEM?

Since I am restoring (as much as a Yenko clone can be a restoration) the car, I want the wiring to look stock where it will be visible.

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
449 Posts
No experience with the Painless kit but I would recommend American Autowire "Factory Fit" harnesses. I replaced every wire in my 69 camaro with the "Factory Fit" harnesses. In my opinion, it's the only way to go.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Bill -

You can search on here for Painless. Some think it's okay, but I have heard a lot of horror stories too. Seems like the installation instructions aren't the greatest.

You say you want it to look stock where it can be seen, but the Painless fuse block is the modern blade style, so I don't know if that's what you want.

As the others have mentioned, AAW makes an excellent plug and go type line of harnesses, their Factory Fit line. M&H is another OEM style manufacturer. If you do an entire car, figure $600 to $900 depending on which harnesses you get. They will be as close to original as it gets. You can also specify some tweaks, like wiring for an internally regulated alternator and HEI ignition, for a minimal fee.

If you want to keep the cost down (like half), have all new wiring, don't mind the modern style fuse block, and want some flexibility for possible upgrades down the road (For example a computer controlled engine, electric fuel pump, power seats and windows, electric fan, etc.), then you may want to look at the AAW Classic Update Kits. they can be had for $450 or so, and include evrything you need and then some. The main underdash harness comes with the wires bundled together/trunking or branching off at aproximately the correct distances. It's somewhat like the Painless kit, in that you must add terminals at most ends, but unlike the Painless, all the connectors are OE style and just plain fit and function correctly. If you take your time running the wires and wrap them in the non-stick vinyl tape like OE, it is hard to tell that it's not except for the fuse block. Their installation instructions are very detailed and easy to follow.

AAW's customer service and tech support are second to none, and if you buy from a reseller (like Rick's or someplace), you get the same level of support.

My Classic Update took a lot more hours than a plug and play because I was very particular about how they were run and wrapped, and because I kept getting interrupted, but I am very happy with the product and would use it again. AAW was there every step of the way, answering every little question.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
AAW.
IF you dont want the new blade style as stated and IF you dont mind laying the wire out in its entirety and cutting it where it needs to be cut and such.

AAW Factory Fit.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Ditto what Eric and Harley said.

Also worth adding that the AAW people are site sponsors and active members here. Note that to be a site sponsor takes more than flipping Al some money. He is VERY particular.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ditto what Eric and Harley said.

Also worth adding that the AAW people are site sponsors and active members here. Note that to be a site sponsor takes more than flipping Al some money. He is VERY particular.
You guys sold me - I will give the AAW guys a try.

Thanks a ton!

Bill

·
Vendor
125 Posts
Hi Bill,
I'm Theresa from AAW. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to help answer them. If you want to post them here, I'll check back or if you prefer to call me. Feel free...

If you just want a catalog to see your options, pm me your address and I'll be happy to mail you one.

Thank you for the nice things you all said in this thread.

Have a great day!
~T

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Recieved my AAW engine harness & alt. upgrade to SI. yesterday. Very happy with it.
Nice looking & everything plugged right in.
I was impressed with the soliniod wires, a bellhousing bolt bracket was there. Nice.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am putting in a Painless and I am happy with it. I would probably not reccomend it for a total original restoration but for a somewhat modified car it is really great since there are many added circuits and it is also easy to make modifications here and there. I like the option of routing and termiating the wires where I want to but that isn't for everyone.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well it's too late for me, I allready bought the Painless wiring kit for about $350 around two years ago, and I am still in the middle of restoring the car so I haven't even gotten it comepletely installed yet, I really like the type of fuses it uses and I love the fact that each wire tells you where it goes(so who needs instructions?)and the fact that I can trim it to fit. The only draw back that I see so far is the fact that you need to reuse most of your old connectors or use repro ones, but thankfully I have all of my old connectors and they are in great shape still. It is a simple to understand system, with enough bananas you could probably teach a chimpanze to use this wiring system, "you dont need no steenking instructions"............007

1 - 16 of 16 Posts