Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for any specific problems people have had when installing a Painless wiring harness in their Camaro.

I am getting ready to purchase one and want to know what I am getting into.

How hard and how much work does it require to make these kits work with all of the Camaros wiring, etc? Do you need to buy anything additional, other than the harness?

I plan on purchasing the Universal 18 circuit kit.

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
137 Posts
i installed the kit on my 69. If you know basic wireing you'll be ok. Buy the kit made for your car and it's a direct bolt in minus the grounds....if you have problems painless will help you if you call them
good luck

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 1990's small block(350) in my car and I plan on some other non-stock items....do you still think that the one made for the Camaro is the way to go and offers enough flexibility in adding my non-stock items?

Is teh Universal kit "that" much more work to use?

Thanks!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rick or others,

What is the difference between the universal kits and the ones made for a particular car?

Is it the connectors at the end of the wires?
And if so, the connectors aren't really needed are they because you can just splice/connect the wires together without them?

Correct me if I'm wrong, please, because I am trying to figure all this mess out before I start!

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
137 Posts
the kit for you car bolts in the the firewall like a stock panel....it's worth it...it has 18 circuts...call painless and ask them the diffenence, i'm not sure

·
Registered
233 Posts
steve
I believe that you are right. The universal harnesses will probably need to have an end connection made. Either by splicing or adding a correct connector.
I would stay away from excessive splicing - AT ALL COSTS. Splices are trouble waiting to happen. And especially if you need to do an entire car. Some circuits are more critical than others and any excess resistance will cause trouble. With that many connections you will make a mistake that you will need to track down later. Or one will come loose at the most inconvenient time.
Call painless and ask them if you do need to make the end connections. I have worked with wiring for over 30 years and splices cause many many problems.
rick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts