Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok just finished everything with my American Autowire update kit. Everything seems in order.. the car fires up.. but... when I turn my blinkers on they both come on... so I pulled the original speedo/fuel cluster out and took a look at the back of it... while its still connected.. can't figure this out.. if I ground the casing out the blinkers work... Oh and if I dont ground the casing out the fuel guage goes out too.. Now I thought that the black wire coming from the harness grounds it?? not sure why its not working.. so if I manually ground the casing eveything works.. except... the backlighting... can't get those to work at all... does anyone have any suggestions?? I gave up for the day... sat there scratching my head for 2 hours ...

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
The Case should have a chassis ground separate from the electrical ground. But I have never messed with new wiring harness. I could be way off mark. I would work my way thru the circuit from ground....

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Chip, there is no ground wire on a 68 cluster.

There is a metal tab which goes from the metal guage cluster up to the high beam indicator, then a second one from there to behind the top center screw that secures the cluster to the main dash.

It won't ground unless that top center screw is in.
It won't ground if all that metal isn't clean.
It won't ground if the high beam indicator is assmebled wrong, the red lens has to go on first, it can't be between any of the metal parts.

Sometimes it may be best to just do a real ground wire, from any one of the screws that hold the guages on, to either the steering column support or the lower dash.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much, that did it. I opted to not mess with the hi-beam indicator.. so I ran a ground wire from a side screw and that worked great..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have a recommendation for the silicon sealant that they call for for the front of the bulkhead connector on the firewall? It calls for some kind of silicone sealant on the connections on that piece?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I used 3-M Strip Calk. I talked to Ray at AAW about it, and the silicone they refer to in the directions is RTV. The factory used something similar to Strip Calk (what was in my OE harness was non-setting), so that's what I used.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Dielectric grease AGS NO. DS-1 is good for the bulkhead connectors. It will help insulate the connectors as well as seal out moisture. You can find it at any auto parts store.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts