Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has graced my garage with a 1988 berlinetta that use to have a V6. Someone put in a 350 and did a less than good job wiring it. I would like to get it running so I can get out of my garage but the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual shows a 4 wire alternator (BSF&L) configuration (it actually calls it a gererator). The alternator that is on the motor is not from the original V6 and is bad anyway according to the test rig at the local AutoZone. Anyone familiar with this diagram on page 10-14 in the Haynes manual (24016) and can recommend an alternator or an alternative? Also maybe I should ask, should I be trying to use the existing wiring harness or change to something else? I aske the tech deot at American Auto wire and they said there is no wayto do this with an after market harness. any help here?

Thanks

Tom

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Why can't you get the correct alternator for the year car ? It will plug right in saving you the problems you are having.

Kev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would love to but the wiring harness has been "trimed" for the one that was in there. Also I have two diagrams for the year model which show two type one is the aforementioned 4 wire and the other is 2 wire, so I'm not sure which one to get.

Tom

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Tom,
I will check AllDataPro and see if they have more info on this. I would think if you called a local Autozone or PepBoys they could tell you what was correct for the year,make,model and engine size. It sounds like you may also need to visit a local wrecking yard to get the engine harness if it was "trimmed" pretty good.

Kev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Kev,

I printed the pages you sent but they are blury. I will try the local Library I know they have a manual and I will take your advise an try a local wrecking yard for parts. Thanks again for your assistance in this.

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts