Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a stock 305ci 2bbl, probably out of a 76-79 truck, in my '67.

As you all know, this doesn't make any power at all. In the future I want to change the engine with a home-built 383 with app. 450hp.

My question is, can I start adding parts for the 383 on my 305, so that I now have some extra power and when I finally have all the needed parts, I can build the 383.....

I was thinking of adding a Holley 4bbl and an air-gap style inlet, maybe some headers and some cams on my 305.
Every part must be suitable for the 383.....if I loose some power on the 305 due to these 383 parts, I could't care.... It's the future that counts.

Do I have to search for a specific engine year if I want to build the 383 (because the engine will get the parts from my 76-79 305)
I thought all these engines can use the same paarts if you look at the headers, inlet, carb, cams.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I wouldn't put any of the 383 parts on the old motor, save them and start all fresh. You're just wasting money on gaskets and time you could be spending making the 383.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I would agree with plum. You could work on the fuel system, and ignition components if they're in need of upgrading as well.

·
Retired
26,662 Posts
I'm inclined to go with onovakind for the most part but Chad has a good point about exhaust... For a shadetree mechanic it would be good to fire up the new mill with a carb that has been run and isn't going to distract you from the rest of engine during initial fire up and cam break in. The problem with buying a carb for the 383 and using it on the 305 is it isn't going to be suited very well for a 305...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts