3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first I was told I should use one, then I read I shouldn't use a 51060R
the engine is classed as a race engine but rarely sees 6K on the street

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am talking about the "R" filter which has larger screening. 60 microns, I think compared to 20?????

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
The "R" filter is a racing filter, why would you want 60 micron media rather than 20 micron?

I believe the "R" racing filter is designed to be run for only a very short period and then changed. At 60 microns, there is less restriction for oil to flow through it but much larger particles are allowed to pass as well which is not ideal.

·
Premium Member
11,169 Posts
I have been told dont run the racing filter on the street due to its not as fine a filter.
Correct this is a race filter , probably has higher burst strength case? Probably to be used with a plugged bypass adapter or none.

We are not racing here, Stick with the standard gold. I never had any issues with filtering and used fram, but when I saw the testing between it and other including Wix made filters, I went with the Napa Gold, being made by Wix, Just don't find wix at parts stores easily. I buy two napa gold at a time.

·
Premium Member
11,169 Posts
Will the oil pressure go up or down with the R version? My bypass is blocked and I run the regular wix, but would like more oil pressure
For me, my oil pressure went up when I had a blocked bypass and a fram filter. When I later changed to napa gold, oil pressure stayed the same until I put the stock bypass back into as I felt I had too much pressure cruising and was thinking of washing out a bearing. I have seen it but never experience it. Don't want to either. Current psi with my melling hi volume 10555 pump is 40 psi idle hot, 55 running hot at 2300 rpm, but remember if psi gets too high, the oil pump bypass will open.
On the R version filter, considering the higher micron , tells me the psi may be higher.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts