Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put my motor back in. When I went to start it I turned the key and it started to crank. When I turned the key off it continued to crank. Thankfully I have a quick disconnect on the battery. I am sure I hooked the wires up correctly on the solenoid. Could it be in the reverse lock out? Any ideas?
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Also, make sure when you tightened the two small wires on the solenoid, that the terminal didn't rotate over and touch the big red wire stud.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Another item that will cause this is the starter gear to ring gear engagement. If too tight the soleniod spring won't pull the bendix back out of the ring gear. If this is the case will need to shim the starter down.

Bob.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I have narrowed the problem down to the starter. It is not a wiring problem. It was working fine when I took it off. The only thing I did to the starter was clean it up and paint it. I am fairly sure it was not spaced to start with. How much should I space it and what should I use?
Thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I tried shimming, no luck. I replaced the solenoid and that did it. However, now when the car starts there is a loud "scraping" sound. It kinda sounds like the starter is not totally disengaging. I pulled it back off and noticed the edge of the teeth on the flywheel next to the starter were a little scard up. So, I replaced the bendix, still have the problem. What the heck! How hard can it be to put a starter on?

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
get new bolts, and some starter shims. The bolts are knurled to lock the starter into position, if they're worn, it won't sit right. Take the solenoid and the inspection cover off (auto trans?) and shim it while working the bendix by hand, so the gears have just a touch of clearance.

And no, sometimes starters ain't easy...lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts