Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
72' camaro 350. Haven't ran it for over a year. It will not turn over. Put in a new starter, selenoid, battery and cables. Ran ground to block, frame and body. I have all wires disconnected from starter and using a switch to s terminal to bypass everything. I have 12.7 volts at starter during attempted cranking. It will only turn over about a 1/4 turn. I can turn it over by hand though. I pulled the plugs not knowing what else to do and it turns over.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
You say it will crank with the spark plugs removed only?
If so..look for coolant to be expelled out.She may have sprung a leak and a cyl is attempting to hydrolock.Remember,you can not compress a liquid.Rotating by hand allows bleed off vs cranking at 400 rpm.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I don't want to get in the way here, but I was hoping that maybe I could learn something. I am guessing that "hydrolock" is a term used to describe coolant filling a cylinder and causing pressure, preventing the crank from turning...what does hydrolock do/cause/damage? Also; I expect hydrolock can result from either a head gasket or intake gasket leaking coolant into a cylindar? Thanks for the education...

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I don't want to get in the way here, but I was hoping that maybe I could learn something. I am guessing that "hydrolock" is a term used to describe coolant filling a cylinder and causing pressure, preventing the crank from turning...what does hydrolock do/cause/damage? Also; I expect hydrolock can result from either a head gasket or intake gasket leaking coolant into a cylindar? Thanks for the education...
Hydrolocking in the cylinder(s) can cause the connecting rods to physically bend and possibly break.

David F.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Hyrdrolock is a serious engine killer if it happens when the engine is running. If the engine has accumulated gas, water, oil in a cylinder sitting still you probably wont' have damaged components, but it will act like a starter problem.

With the plugs pulled it should spin over like crazy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No signs of any liquids. Is it possible for a rodent to get in through the exhaust and build a nest and build up pressure on exhuast stroke?

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Is it April already? That is kind of a farfetched thought. I suppose a rodent could get in the head through the exhaust but any nest or even bodies wouldn't be enough to keep the motor from turning over. I would try another starter and solenoid. If that didn't do it-off with the heads!

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Personally I'd make sure you don't have an electrical problem with some simple tests using a multimeter before throwing more money at it.

Measure from the battery (+) to the starter motor (+) terminal. Have a helper attempt to crank the engine. (You might as well leave the plugs out). Your volt meter should not indicate a reading greater than about 1 volt. Repeat the test measuring from the battery (-) to the starter shell. Have the helper crank the engine and observe the reading looking for less than 1 volt drop. If either of these tests show a significant voltage drop, you need to find the bad connection or bad component that lies somewhere between your test points in the failing leg of the circuit.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
From your comments so far, I think you have an electrical issue. Are the new cables the right guage? Too small and they won't carry the necessary current. Have the starter load tested, I have rechanged more than one bad rebuild. Make sure the battery is charged.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hydrolock will break the starter nose sometimes too. Check the drive gear to ring gear clearance. It could be binding up there too. Check bolt diameter and starter bolt hole diameter at the top starter hole. there are 2 different size starters and bolts. One starter has a 10mm hole and requires 10mm bolts the other starter has a3/8 hole and needs 3/8 bolts. Both starters look identical, so be careful. I hope you still have the old starter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts