Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can i get a woodgrain ashtray?None of the catalogs show it and i haven't seen any on Ebay or the classifieds.Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Chris:
You must have a 68 with the woodgrain dash center. I cannot find one either. I will be second in line for one. I painted mine black , it looks ok but woodgrain is needed. They reproduce everything else but not this item.
Good luck
JA

------------------
John P. Allen
Sunnyvale Ca.
68 RS, 327 w- A/C, 70 Buick GS455 Convertible
http://www.mothers.com/coolcars/coolcars.html
July 1999 and April 2001

·
Registered
503 Posts
Why not buy the woodgrain panel inserts for the console and recover the ashtray front ???
for just a few dollars it has to be worth a try......Billy

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had black,but got a good deal on a new woodgrain so i thought id upgrade,but now i cant find an ashtray to match it
.i thought about covering it like suggested but the black one has the pebble grain.

[This message has been edited by ochrisl (edited 12-14-2001).]

·
Registered
966 Posts
Believe it or not, but believe it! I found the exact matching woodgrain tape at Wallmart! It's either contact paper or shelf liner. Check it out!!!!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I picked up my woodgrain ashtray from a bunch of drunk guys at an Englishtown swapmeet for 5 bucks. That was my main goal of the day so i was fairly pleased. So check out the swap meets when they start up again, they're bound to be there somewhere.

·
Registered
58 Posts
In my sig, there is a link. We may have a woodgrain ashtray for a 68.

------------------
69 Chevelle SS
Camaro Parts Network, http://www.camaro1.com

·
Registered
622 Posts
I got by with a woodgrain insert sticker for a center console.. it kinda looked like crap, and it was prone to lifting. but i finally found one for I think 30.00 used, I have seen them go for over 70.00 on ebay!!

craazy worl'
John

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The contact paper really doesn't match the original woodgrain in texture and finish. The contact paper is extremely smooth and somewhat glossy compared to the original that has a "texture" and no/very little gloss. The pattern and color are good though in my opinion.

I think that to get it to adhere well and look good, you'd have to sand the pebble grain smooth. Getting it to conform around the curves of the ashtray might be difficult to do without getting wrinkles/creases and keeping the "grain" straight. Also, you should probably cover the entire dash insert so that it matches-and possibly the floor console if you have one. I've seen it done and it doesn't look too bad, but not "stock"-it just depends on what you want.

PS, I might be wrong, but I think early 68's with the woodgrain still had a pebble grain ashtray-it wasn't available till later in the production run. So using it could still look "correct"

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice wagon
'98 Malibu

·
Registered
966 Posts
I should have clarified, the contact paper is a perfect match for a 69. Sorry

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,123 Posts
$70 for an ash tray? Damn, I should sell mine! Glad that that was one part that I did not have to try and find.

------------------
-Randy
Cars:
<A HREF="http://www.camaroclubkc.com/rpaxton.htm" TARGET=_blank>68 RS/SS BB ragtop
</A>RWHP: 329.4 RWTQ: 398.9
63 Nova II ragtop
Club:
Camaro Club of Kansas City

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
Starting around April of 1968, the ashtray front was changed from black to woodgrain. Before that, you'd have a woodgrain panel and a black ashtray. And everyone thinks it's wrong.

------------------
Kurt S.
CRG www.camaros.org

·
Registered
503 Posts
Kurt S ...thanks for that little "fact"...I thought someone changed the ashtray in My early build 68....chalk up another one learned from this great site....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Question:
Mine is a November 67 build and has an ashtray without grain, it is the same style as the woodgrained ones(no pebble grain and lip around the outside of the cover). Do only 67 ash trays have pebble grain? If so, what would early 68's have for the ashtray style then? Is it the same just painted black?
thx a lot and:
Merry Christmas
JA

------------------
John P. Allen
Sunnyvale Ca.
68 RS, 327 w- A/C, 70 Buick GS455 Convertible
http://www.mothers.com/coolcars/coolcars.html
July 1999 and April 2001

·
Registered
161 Posts
I do have a woodgrain ashtray in my 68 that im willing to sell! I am going to convert it to black pebble!!! If anyone is looking for one let me know, its in EXCELLENT shape..

·
Registered
178 Posts
Wow, I have often wondered what the changeout date was. My Dec (E) build LA 68 SSRS has a black tray in it. I always thought it was correct just thought it might have been due to the Egg-nog consumed on the Line!
God I miss the Good old days.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts