Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
33,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for those who work in a cubicle, and for those who don't, this is a summation of what happens during the day......

If this isn't the truth!
You know, sometimes I hate working in corporate America. Why? Because of the damn cubes.
Cubes have to be the worst thing created in the workplace.------ No privacy !
*People looking over your shoulder.
*All your phone business being heard by the world.
And what's up with people walking by as slow as they possibly
can, to see if you are surfing a website instead of working?
I hate that......You really want to see me go postal?
Hover by my cube too long......... You may get cussed out.
It's my cube !

Don't just bust up in there unannounced. ----Knock on the wall !
Stick your head around the corner to see if I'm busy.
Announce your presence ! ---Don''t just stroll in because you don't see a door.
It's my cube !

Don't walk past and ask me who are all the pretty people in my pictures that decorate my desk.
First of all, I don't have any ugly friends.
Second of all, I don't have any ugly family.
Third of all, why are you lolly-gagging around my cube long enough to look at all the pictures
that I have anyway? Don't slow your roll at my cube, speed it up.
It's my cube !

Don't ask me where I got my plants from, my mirror from or my motivational prints from.
That means you've been standing there too long, you better keep on walking. In fact, why
don't you walk your A$$ to the nearest Garden Ridge, IKEA or Target? You wanna see decorations?
Go to the damn store!
It's my cube !

If you see me on the phone, don't come in. Don't sit in my vacant chair until I'm done talking
on the phone. What makes you think I want you to know all my personal business? I haven't
summoned you. I haven't invited you to take a seat. I haven't asked you to laugh along with me at the
jokes I tell my friends on the other line.
We don't need to correspond in person. That's what an in-box was created for. You wanna talk to me?
*Send me an e-mail. You have work for me to see? Drop it off in the in box OUTSIDE of my
cube. It isn't hanging there for decoration!
It's my cube !

*Don't listen for noises from my cube that announce whether I'm arriving or leaving.
Damn, I hate that !
*When I get here in the morning, I get here. I don't need you to say......GOOD MORNING! loud enough
so that the whole department can hear. Why do they need to know that I got here at 8:05, not 8:00?
Oh ....and when I get ready to leave, I'm gone. If you hear me taking my purse out of the drawer
or zipping up my bag, I don't need you to say GOODBYE! loud enough so that the whole department can
hear you announce my departure at 4:45... and not 5:00.
Damn, I hate that!
It's my cube !

Don't think because I have staples, pens and notepads, that means you can borrow some without asking.
If I say I don't have any, don't walk by to check and see if I'm lying.......what if I am ! I just don't want
you to have it. Do like I did. Walk your A$$ down the hall to the big supply room and get you some things.
What do I look like, Office Max?
It's my cube !

R-E-S-P-E-C-T IT!!!!

·
Registered
677 Posts
A year ago, the company I work for let me move to a full-time home office with all expenses paid (business line, DSL, printer, etc). The company pays less per month for this than it was costing them for my cube space in the office. It's a win-win situation. No more people looking over my shoulder and my car fuel bill has shrunk to nothing. After 10 years in a cube, I finally got out of cube prison, wooooohoooooo!

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Ha! As a consultant many times I don't even get a cube! Currently my desk is a 2' x 3' table that is shoved in the corner of a conference room. The best thing is when they have meetings in the room while I am trying to work! Now I don't mind the meetings if they keep it all business but usually it is 20% business and 80% BS'ing. The BS'ing part irritates me especially when they get all loud and start trying to include me in there BS session while I am trying to work and ignore them.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I just moved to a new cube about a month ago, and upgraded to a window view on the 24th floor in downtown Dallas! I can see for miles! However, I'll also probably be the first one to see the plane hit, so there are positives and negatives to the situation....... :(

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Cube farms, most companies are cultivating them. I am lucky with a nice office, heck I even have a closet to store car parts in.

·
15,376 Posts
Originally posted by kz1000ltd:
However, I'll also probably be the first one to see the plane hit, so there are positives and negatives to the situation....... :(
OMG! :eek:
A little pessimistic are we John?
Look at it this way, when ya go full-time 'parts-man' at home, you won't even have to get out of yer jammies! ;)

·
Registered
574 Posts
I share an office with a coworker -his wife calls at least a dozen times a day!!! What am I? a babysitter?? I don't know where he is, nor do I CARE!!! We have 3 windows with a great view...of the roof next door! Can't complain too much though, we have A/C and can close the door when we want. Most of the time people don't even know I am here!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Les nesbith,W.K.R.P in Cincinatti.Anyone remember that show and how he had an imaginary door.He would not even talk to you unless you Knocked first to enter HIS cubicle....

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I work in a cube facing a corner. It has a window so I thought it was cool at first, but it has led to constant paranoia. :eek:

The movie Office Space hits life in Corporate America right on the head. Great movie.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Paulm,

I can relate. As a consultant in Corporate America, these have been my favorite 'accomodations':

1) An open room with 30 other team members. Computer drops dangling from the ceiling and run out the window. Floors above and below were undergoing asbestos removal. Asbestos level monitors in the hallway. The clients were'nt even in the same building.

2) A lofted area with ceilings too low to stand up straight.

3) A hallway (after commuting from San Francisco to Washington DC every week to sit there).

4) A shared cubicle so tight that our seat backs hit each other.

I've had 3 or 4 projects where I never even got a seat - I just had to 'squat' in a conference room till I got kicked out.

Those were the good old days....

·
Premium Member
5,326 Posts
I would hate to work in a cube. I have a large office I share with one other person, (together for 15 years and counting). We are located on the 42nd floor in Downtown San Francisco with 3 sides of floor to ceiling windows. It is a great view, but to us it's just wallpapaer. But, I think if I had to move to an office without a view, I would go stir-crazy. I would really miss it..Here is a sample of my view everyday, and yes we watch for the planes...

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
"WKRP in Cincinnati"!! Loved that show, as well as "All That Glitters" with Gary Sandy too!

Bttt, for about 12.5 years, half of my office space was usually inside a customer's furnace helping them install refractories!!

Be them Blast Furnaces, Walking-Beam Reheat furnaces, Aluminumm Melting Furnaces, Garbage Burners, HAZ-Waste Incinerators, Cement Kiln Pre-heater Towers, Cat. Crackers, Coal-fired Utility Electrical Power Plant Boilers, etc., etc....

You name an industrial furnace, and chances are that I probably have been in one like it!!

He, He!! Guys I knew used to say that some of the jobs I had to do while on the road were easy.. And I used to say the only easy one's were the second visit b/c then I knew the project! But I very seldom ever got to come back a second time!!

Yes, an office with a nice view would be nice, imho....

pdq67

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Office Space is a great movie, I highly recommend it, the part where the nerdy guy get's his cube moved all the way to the basement is hilarious!

·
Registered
154 Posts
My favorite is the mystery smell. It just shows up for a few minutes and leaves.

I have a fan and a collection of air freshners to combat spichter delivered smells of too much beer steamed brocoli and refried beans.

Another favorite is the too much cologen or perfume. Smell them before seeing them by 50-yards.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Office space was without a doubt one of the best movies ever made. It really hits close to home for a lot of us.
WillS, I know the perfume thing all too well. Before I transfered over here to Gardner, KS, I was working in Jefferson City, MO in an office that was 85% women. All those different perfumes mixing on a warm humid day was just flat nauseating. Sometimes I think I could have lit a match and leveled 1/2 the town because the fumes was so bad.
At the job I got layed off from last year, there was this guy who was about 1 step from getting thrown out of the 6th floor window by EVERYBODY on the floor. He was, to put it mildly, an idiot. He started with the company in the billing department in Atlanta, and they helped him in every way possible to get him to pass the tech test that you had to pass to get into my office. He would sit there and tell us how they gave him the answers, even gave him "study material" with every single question from the test, and he had to try 4 times to pass it :rolleyes: He finally passed and got transfered to Tulsa. This guy would talk so freaking loud, that every single business and personal phone call he was on could be heard in detail clear across the office. And some of this stuff was, well, disturbing, and some of it was hilarious. Think of a shorter, louder Peewee Herman...that was him. He was constantly calling up girls trying to get dates, and he would repeat some of their excuses for not going out with him (loudly of course) and we would just be rolling on the ground laughing so hard. But the realy irritating thing was that whatever phone call anybody else was on, he would radar in on it especially if it was personal and then he would want to talk about it. Like any of it was his business! He couldn't remember even the most basic thing about our job to save his life, but he could damn well remember every member of your familys name (even when that info wasn't given to him) and all kinds of stuff like that.
Sorry...I'm rambling. It's like a bad dream that won't go away :D

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
He, He!!

Travis,

They shoulda made him a Salesman!!

Some of them tend to be like that b/c they are more people oriented then tech...

I can tell you a couple of the funniest true, "Salesman" stories that would have you rolling in the floor that you will ever hear!

pdq67

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Oh, this guy was so NOT people oriented. He pi$$ed nearly every customer off that called in with technical questions or needed tech assistance. Many, many times I would end up telling him to transfer his calls over to me because he would argue with customers over the most trivial things (loudly, of course) and a 5 minute phone call would be 30 minutes with him...and I would get tired of listening to it. I helped get him taken off the graveyard shift I was working because I was sick and tired of doing this guys job for him. The real kicker about the whole deal was that this guy had 7 days more seniority than me, and in a union position seniority is everything.
I've got some pretty hilarious stories about different things he did at work...some of it not repeatable on a family oriented site :D I will say though that when our office got closed, a number of my co-workers that had enough seniority bumped into positions in Atlanta. He was staying at the same apartment complex as a couple of my ex-coworkers. Apparently, there was a local guy that lived in the apartment complex that had an old Vespa scooter. "Peewee" bugged this guy for weeks to let him ride this guys classic scooter (much like a 5 year old that wants something real bad). The scooter owner finally gave in. Story goes that Peewee went blazing full speed across the parking lot, got wobbly, and ran full throttle into a PARKED car...and totalled this guys scooter!

·
Registered
153 Posts
"Ummmmm... yeah, Its just that we are putting New Cover sheets on the TPS reports....did you get the memo"
TIMELESS!!! Love that movie

1 - 20 of 20 Posts