Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tore down the motor in my 68 to try and figure out if anything was wrong with it and to change the cam (couldn't get valve timing right, and wasn't satisfied with the idle) and decided to also change the heads to a set of vortecs I have, when I got down to the short block I noticed I could push the pistons side to side when they are at top dead, do I need new rings or do they just act that way when "broken in"

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's what I was thinking, I assume it's time to strip my other shortblock and see if those pistons make things better, I just tore down that block and I can't wiggle those pistons, they're both .030 over

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so they can wiggle a little bit? I didn't drain the oil yet, if I don't have a gas smell in there is it safe to assume I probably don't have to much blow by?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, torn down the motor, it still has the swirels in the bores and very little lip on the top of the cylinder bores, I'm looking at sending it to the machine shop to get it checked out, the piston rings all seem to be okay, no noticable cracks or anything in them, I did have a little bit of tailpipe smoke when the car ran, and bouncy vacuum readings tho, didn't run a compression test tho.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Are the plugs still in the head? mark what way they are in the head pull and read the plugs...black on the bottom side is rings, black on thetop is valve guides.

Have you measured the bores for round ness and top and bottom, and the top ridge
This will tell you what wear and where .
You also need to measure the pistons as per manufactures specs...to determine ant collassping of skirts etc.
When an engine is machined, each bore is matched to the piston and final honed....depending on the type/brand of pistons and the fuel type and use of the engine there should be between 1/1000 and 2,5/1000 diameter clearance.
Hi permormance/race has a little more than a street engine.
Hi com/hi octane also has larger clearance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts