Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I just thought you all might want to see this. The Z rear end was to low as measured according to factory specifications. 1/2" low forward of the centerline of the rear wheels. At first I wasn't all that worried about it and besides I had plenty other components/issues to deal with. Well finally I couldn't stand it any longer and decided to replace the isolators hoping most of the sag would be corrected. Once the hardware started to be removed the leaf started to fall apart revealing the true culprit:
Leaf 1.jpg
Leaf 2.jpg
Z.jpg

The first pic speaks for itself. Second pic is after the leaf springs/isolators shackles and associated hardware were replaced. Third pic is prior to the work being performed. No question the car is more stable now and I don't feel like l'm looking at the hood up in the air. Had I known this before there is no question the repairs would have taken priority and been addressed months ago.
Best regards,
Hank

·
Registered
441 Posts
A lot of leaf springs, both multi-leaf and mono-leaf were replaced back in the day. They didn't hold up well to hole shots and either broke at the center pin as yours did or at the front mount where the eye of the spring takes abuse.
I don't know if the aftermarket springs are any better. The best thing you can do if you hot rod the car is add some type of traction control device to control the wrap up of the spring and subsequent breakage.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all,
Thanks for the comments and advice regarding the wrap up of the springs. I currently don't have any plans to "launch" the car as clearly the original intent of the car design was cornering and accel from one curve to the next. Usually I jump on her coming out of a corner with open road in front. Up thru the gears until I scare myself or run out of room. Do you all think traction bars would be warranted for regular hard accel?
Thanks,
Hank

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hi all,
Thanks for the comments and advice regarding the wrap up of the springs. I currently don't have any plans to "launch" the car as clearly the original intent of the car design was cornering and accel from one curve to the next. Usually I jump on her coming out of a corner with open road in front. Up thru the gears until I scare myself or run out of room. Do you all think traction bars would be warranted for regular hard accel?
Thanks,
Hank
Not mandatory, but even at 72 I like to slam the gears and each time you change a gear hard, the nose of the differential jumps upward. The factory offered a traction bar of sorts for that purpose. It doesn't have to be drag racing with slicks to wrap up a spring. I don't run them on the 68RS as slapper bars are a noisy rough riding addition to a street car. I think the factory bar might be what you want to look into.

·
20,439 Posts
As above, common spot on all leaf springs.

Glad you found it BEFORE you found out the hard way.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,240 Posts
Not mandatory, but even at 72 I like to slam the gears and each time you change a gear hard, the nose of the differential jumps upward. The factory offered a traction bar of sorts for that purpose. It doesn't have to be drag racing with slicks to wrap up a spring. I don't run them on the 68RS as slapper bars are a noisy rough riding addition to a street car. I think the factory bar might be what you want to look into.
Did they really offer or homoglate that single traction bar in '69? Somewhere I remember reading that track cars might've had two (2) of those bars, but I've never seen anything pictured or noted that would confirm that rumor. I do recall reading that the Penske cars had leaf springs that were stiffer in the front half than the rear, and that the axle position on the spring was modified to deal with axle wrap.-Mike

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure yet, seems like I remember reading about factory bars but now I'm in foreign territory. I'll keep you all posted as to the findings.
Best regards,
Hank

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey all,
I found a report over on CRG indicating factory torsion/traction bars for the 1967's only. Subsequently the higher horsepower cars received multi-leaf springs. The only aftermarket traction bars available seem to be of the garden variety; square bars, bump stops etc.
Best regards,
Hank

1 - 11 of 11 Posts