Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a pair of them for my 67 since I put multi leafs on it. New repops are 35.00/ea. I'd rather find a less expensive used pair, and put the extra $$ somewhere else. (If you look at my album you'll see where...)Going to NPD this week for my birthday. Guess I'll get them then if no one has any.
Thanks.

·
Registered
581 Posts
You need the bottom picture plates from DSE. I will have a pair for sale in a week or two that had been installed but have zero miles on them. I put Slide a Links on so I dont need them.Let me know if you have interest in them .They are well built.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
MB -

All 67s were monoleaf from the factory, and the shocks are mounted in front of the axle on both sides. Chevy added the single radius arm on one side for higher HP cars to combat the axle wrapping/wheel hop problems related to the mono springs and shocks on the same side of the axle.

In 68, the upper shock mounts (where the shock goes through the trunk floor) were redesigned to allow the driver side shock to mount behind the axle. So with the passenger side still in front of the axle and the driver side in back, that's where the "staggered" part comes in. All 68s and 69s had staggered rear shocks, whether mono or multi leaf.

Now, when you put multileafs on a 67, you run into two issues. The monoleaf shocks aren't usually long enough to function correctly, so you can have some noise as shocks overextend and possibly breakage. It's not a simple as using 68-69 multileaf shocks, because the bottom mounting is different (monos use a through bolt that goes through both ears on a mono anchor plate, while multis use a stud that bolts to the multi anchor plate).

So, you can do a couple different things.

Run shock extenders on monoleaf shocks - this is a little adapter that threads on the top of the shock. It's cheap, and depending on how much distance you need, can be pretty effective.

Get the aftermarket anchor plates as decribed above and use multileaf shocks - more expensive, but may work better.

Fabricate a LH multileaf plate - it's not too difficult to fab, but if you have to buy the 68-69 multileaf anchor plates and then cut the left one to move the tab, this ends up being as expensive as the aftermarket plates for 67.

Dizzy?

You are probably best off to wait until you've mounted the springs and rear and have the car back down on it's wheels (or supported under the axle like it's on wheels). Then take some measurements. If you can get away with monoleaf plates, monoleaf shocks, and extenders, that will be cheapest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts