Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Camaro ss, 396 big block, 4 speed munice
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, anybody know where I can get a decent LS2 engine with the T56 manual trans? Ive looked online but prices seem expensive and most of the engines have high mileage. This engine will be for a 1969 camaro. Thanks.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Any reason for LS2 vs LS3? Probably many more LS3’s out there as they were used in Gen 5 cars.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any reason for LS2 vs LS3? Probably many more LS3’s out there as they were used in Gen 5 cars.
well due to the fact that they are cheaper if im correct. i was looking at the LS3s but they are expensive atleast for me. i already paid an arm and a leg for my camaro. i figure why not an ls2. any suggestions...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What’s wrong with your 396 ?
Do you have a real 396 car ?

Same ?’s for Muncie change ?
Nothing is wrong with the 396. it is real 396 as well. Does have a 4 speed muncie. i just want to go with a modern engine where i can have between 400 to 500 with a couple upgrades. Also reliable and better fuel mileage.

·
Registered
645 Posts
The 396 is easy 400 plus HP.
Many consider Muncie smoothest shifting trans ever.

If you have a real 396 car, I Hope you’ll save the 396 should you ever want to sell car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 396 is easy 400 plus HP.
Many consider Muncie smoothest shifting trans ever.

If you have a real 396 car, I Hope you’ll save the 396 should you ever want to sell car.
Oh ok great to know. I didnt even know about the engine or Muncie being the smoothest. In this case ill keep both just in case i do sell the car in the future. But any suggestions where i can get a decent LS2 maybe an LS3 at a reasonable price?

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Reasonable barely exist currently, all the wrecks are selling high, and in turn parts as well. Friend recently had ls3/tr6060 sold for $6800

·
Registered
744 Posts
The days of getting anything LS for not a lot of money are over, especially now that the supply chain is down on the new engines.
Here's a Ebay low mileage ad, auto but maybe you could recoup some money from the trans and buy a TKX. Anyway you look at it you're gonna be 10K in at least and you're taking a chance with a used engine. Plus it might need a cam swap to achieve more HP.

·
15,871 Posts
Look for an LQ9 or LQ4. Good platforms to build on way less than LS. Iron block but if on a budget the extra 100 or so lbs doesn’t mean much.

·
Premium Member
5,685 Posts
The days of getting anything LS for not a lot of money are over, especially now that the supply chain is down on the new engines.
Here's a Ebay low mileage ad, auto but maybe you could recoup some money from the trans and buy a TKX. Anyway you look at it you're gonna be 10K in at least and you're taking a chance with a used engine. Plus it might need a cam swap to achieve more HP.
10k miles on a 2014 police pursuit vehicle. I’m a little skeptical… ;)

Don

·
Registered
744 Posts
10k miles on a 2014 police pursuit vehicle. I’m a little skeptical… ;)

Don
Don, maybe you're right. Of course if you're gonna dish out that kind of dough you would need to check things out.
I myself wouldn't buy a used engine unless I knew where it or who its coming from, hence why I decided to build a iron LS3 with better parts than a factory LS3 for about 7k CA.
Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Vehicle
Rad, headers, homemade cold air intake extra.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well at almost 6k without the trans i might as well get an LS3 that has everything included. Im seeing prices between 7k and up depending on the mileage.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hector, your choice, build and money. Keep in mind that once you get the engine and transmission you then need to get a fuel system, trans mount, clutch actuation, exhaust, some electrical wiring, etc..... If you're at all knowledgeable and mechanically inclined then you can save a few bucks by doing some things yourself otherwise you're gonna have to pay.
Here's a guy in Cali that could possibly be of interest.
Whatever you choose good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts