Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Z/28 without either Z21 (Style Trim) or Z22 (Rally Sport).

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is the x-77 code a "bare bones" code the vehicle i will purchase is x -77 code just wanted to know what it consists of. THanks

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
X77 is a Z/28. Like JohnZ said, no RS or style trim exterior..The "X"codes do not represent any other option, only Z/28, SS,RS and/or style trim exterior, or base car..It has nothing to do with any other options it may have.So, X77 is Z/28 without style trim exterior and is not a Rally Sport. A 'base' Z/28..

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
An X77 Z28 could have spoilers, cowl hood, console gauges, PS, AMFM, any gear ratio, etc. It could not have the exterior trim which inlcudes the wheel opening moldings, roof drip moldings and it can't be a Rally Sport either. It was considered a base Z28, but you could still have almost all the options to it except the exterior dress up chrome.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged) & driven daily, Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, being restored

·
Registered
955 Posts
The answer is no. The only way to tell is by looking at the body trim tag on the firewall. The VIN will tell you if it is a coupe or convertable, V-8 or 6 Cyl, and whether it was built in Ohio or California (Norwood, OH or Van Nuys, CA), the year of the car and the sequential build number of the vehicle. The trim tag will tell you the exterior color, interior color (standard or Deluxe) the trim options and the body build date which was usually a week or two ahead of the car completion date.

------------------
69 SS, 350, 4 Speed
75 400, 4 Speed
93 Z28, 6 Speed

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Also only Norwood cars had the X codes, not on any LA built cars.

·
Retired
16,007 Posts
My 69RS is LosAngeles built with x164 on the firewall plate, how does that figure into the scheme then? Picking it up on Sat.

------------------
69RS coming 2/16 :eek:)

·
Retired
16,007 Posts
ok thanks John. I recall someone mentioning that once before now. Forgot, sorry blonde moment here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SO then roughly how many 69-Z28 were built with the X-77 Code are they rare? Thank You for all the help I appreciate it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thousands! Don't know how many exactly. I think the X33 Z's are more sought after though because I see a lot of X77 Z's with style trim on them. Meaning people add all the exterior chrome to their cars... (My car has the gills down on the quarters which is not correct for my X77 car. A previous owner added them and I will be removing them eventually.) But it is a deluxe interior car which means it has all the interior style trim which I always thought was strange... What condition is the car you're looking at in? Did you have any idea it was a real Z?

------------------
- John -
69 Z/28
69 Z11
Camaro Generations Member
WCA Member

[This message has been edited by X77D80 (edited 02-15-2002).]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The car im looking at is a Cortez Silver Z-28 Ive never seen the car in person only online It's an X-77 and has the X-33 chrome package? I believe it has the side "gills" which from what your saying is incorrect. So basicaly the X-77 is just a bare bones package? there's no a/c etc The car im looking at in particular is gorgeous and i like the X-77 bare bones look more than say houndstooth interioered cars. X-33 is a style chrome package correct?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is there any other way to tell if the car is an x-77 a seller im talking to doesnt know if his car is an x-77. Also x-33 is a fancy chrome bumber trim package correct?

·
Registered
306 Posts
An X77 will get your the following:
Z28 (non-RS equipped)
No chrome molding around wheel wells
No chrome on roof gutters
No chrome on headlight bezels
No chrome verticle dividers on taillights
No chrome gills on quarters
However, you can still get deluxe interior and any other options that didn't interfere with the Z/28 (eg. no A/C, no Auto trans and no convertible with Z/28)

X33 is the oppisite of X77 in that respect. However, you could get an X33 Z without RS. Confused? Me too!

If the tag says X77, then that's what it is.

------------------
- John -
69 Z/28
69 Z11
Camaro Generations Member
WCA Member

[This message has been edited by X77D80 (edited 02-16-2002).]

·
Registered
725 Posts
A guy near me is restoring a Lemans Blue X-77 JL8 car with deluxe interior, gauges, and M22.

A lot of people add the chrome trim for looks.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM, fold down seat, tilt wheel, Torque Thrust Wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust, locking gas cap
COMING SOON Corvette tripower, small body HEI, and maybe "842" aluminum heads

·
0 Posts
with Z21 Style Trim without Z21 Style Trim
(or Z22 Rally Sport) (or Z22 Rally Sport)
----------------------- ----------------------
X11* non-SS396, non-Z28, X44* non-SS, non-Z28
includes SS350 X55 SS350
X22 SS396 X66 SS396
X33 Z28 X77 Z28

* COPO Camaros were an exception, as most COPOs
were built out of bodies coded with X11 or X44.
Some early COPOs had X22 or X66-coded bodies.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts