Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this over on Team Chevelle a while back, but seemed like everyone with an X-pipe was running a big block- so i couldn't really compare apples to apples...

My 70 Elcamino with a mild 350 has Headman Headers going into 2 1/2" pipes going into a X-pipe (headman x-tream brand if it matters, not a DRGas) Then into large case Edelbrock RPM Mufflers(20") & turn downs.

I'm unhappy with the sound. Its too damn quiet. I used to have the 'small' case edelbrock RPMS(15") on my old 69 elky with straight head pipes and and 'H' and it sounded great- So i am not sure if it is the larger case mufflers causing the quietness or the 'x-pipe' causing it.

I'm tossed between cutting off the x-pipe and replacing with Straight Head Pipes, or Cutting off the mufflers and going with a short case Flowmaster or Magnaflow mufflers.

You other guys with Small blocks running X-pipes, what mufflers are you running, and how do you like the sound?

Thanks-
Ben

[ 09-04-2003, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: AHSOM70 ]

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
I simply LOVE!! it. 350, hedmans, 2-1/2" Dr Gas X, 2-1/2 40 series Flowmasters & tailpipes. Not quiet at all, but not bad while cruisin, no problem having a conversation at 65. The best part here is, that there is a sound level for every taste. :D Not sure if the sound clip on my page is working right now, let me know if not, my sound card is gone.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
i've got a smallblock with 2 1/5 inch pipes, X pipe and three chamber flowmasters. but there is one difference, its a smallblock ford 5.0 :rolleyes: . it does sound killer however, and it gets tons of compliments. idle is real mellow, but when you mash it it really growls. i'm planning on adding a 3" to 2.5" X pipe to my 2.5" 2 chamber flows on my camaro, since i think the three chambers are a bit too quiet for it. i really like the X pipe, i think it adds a distinct sound to the exhaust note.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
I have the Dr. Gas 3" in/2.5" out going into 2.5" Dynamax Ultraflos and absolutely love it.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
Hedman Hedders, 2.5" Hedman X treme X pipe, 2.5" Flowmaster kit with the crossflow muffler.
sounds pretty quiet at idle- but kind of makes a little bit of a racket. but, man, when you hit the loud pedal, it just ROARS to life. 5000 rpm's sound like 7000. quiets down nice once you hit a steady cruising speed, tho. works good for sneaking up on people, and lets you sneak past the guys in the car with the flashing lights on top.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts