Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that redbandit928 posted a message a little while ago about trying to find an X-Pipe for his exhaust setup. I took a look at DrGas and their X pipes are a little costly for my budget. Has anyone had any experiece with welding two mandel bent tubes together to make an X pipe. I can do it for 1/5th of the cost and would like to know if anyone had any good or bad experiences with it.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
I guess I have more of a crossover than an X on mine. I have a pipe that connects the 2 under the tran, or just ahead of it. I had the pipe cut in half with flanges welded on with a gasket in between. So when I have to pull the trans, which I did have to do once, it's simple to unbolt the crossover, then unbolt the pipe at the collectors and exhaust is out of the way. It seems to me, if an X or a crossover were welded it would be very difficult to do trans work. Am I wrong about this? And, did I even help steve with his question at all? LOL

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I have a crossover welded on mine about a foot behind the transmission ( about 1/3 length to the mufflers). Mine is a 3" curved loop. I don't know how it affects power but it sure mellowed out the sound a lot.
Hey Stevo!
Joe

------------------
69 SS396 Clone, B&M TH400, 12 Bolt Posi, Blue w/White Z28 Stripes
[email protected]

·
Registered
567 Posts
Look at the bright side on these pipes. If you h-pipe or y-pipe did not make a difference in the way the vehicle runs, at least you have a front driveshaft loop! LOL

I have an h-pipe and it made no time difference in the 1/4. I wonder if an x-pipe would?

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed (Soon to be LT1)
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
"Speed KILLS, so drive a FORD and live forever!"
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm also on a very restricted budget. I ordered a couple of mandrel U-bends from Jeg's, cut the back out with a band saw, and welded them together with my Mig. It worked great and cost me less than 20 bucks.
Stephen

------------------
67 RS/SS 350 700R4
69 SS clone unfinished
72 454 Weekend Racer

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have my X-pipe flanged at the headers[obviously]and just past the X.I also have flanges between the flowmasters and the tailpipes,I can take the hole exhaust[except for drivers side header] off the car in about 30 minutes. I believe the idea behind the X as opposed to an H pipe, is that the pulses of exhaust gasses can merge together easier in the siamesed pipes of the X, rather than trying to make a90 degree turn through the H to merge with other side for proper scavenging effect.

------------------
68 candy brandywine 383dfi/T-56 87 monte carlo ss aerocoupe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts