Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not sure if this has already been posted or not - beware of these numbers
I think someone someplace is keeping a database of things like this?

EBAY LINK

YOU ARE BIDDING ON A 69 CAMARO Z28 TRIM TAG X33.

ST 69 12437 NOR 245988 BDY

TR 727 67 E PNT

02B X33

727 IS FOR IVORY STANDARD INTERIOR

67 IS FOR BURGUNDY PAINT

E IS FOR PARCHMENT (WHITE) VINYL TOP

02B IS FOR FEB 2ND WEEK

X33 IS FOR STYLE TRIM GROUP WITH SPECIAL PERFORMANCE EQUIPMENT (Z28)

X33 IS PREFERRED OVER X77 SINCE IT HAS THE STYLE TRIM AND FROM WHAT I AM TOLD, THE RS WAS AN OPTION ON THE X33 NOT THE X77.THIS TAG IS A VERY HARD TO FIND COMBO AND IS VERY DESIRABLE WITH THE COLORS AND Z28.

·
Premium Member
6,712 Posts
No need to keep it in the database, it's an obvious fake.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Becasue there are visual clues on the tag. Don't have to know what the VIN is to tell that the trim tag is real or not, but if someone wants to know whether their car is a Z28 or an SS you have to be able to tell if the trim tag is real or not, and to tell if the tag came on that car originally. If someone has a car with a VIN that indicates it was made in January and the car has a trim tag dated April then its obvious one of the tags didn't come on the car originally.

As far as what makes a tag a fake, we (collectively) do not discuss in an open forum what features make a tag a fake or not. We don't need the guys making the fakes fixing the problems they have, and making the tags better.

I would estimate that fully 5% or 69 Z28's and big block SS's on Ebay are outright fakes with restamped engines,and fake trim tags. This 5% number doesn't include clones where people just paint up their cars and slap SS, or Z28 stripes on them and then call them Z28s or SS's. These are just the cars specifically made to defraud some buyer of his or her money.

·
Registered
87 Posts
yeah i see what your saying, wish i knew but its really better not to discuss in forum. ill see if i can get a pic for ya of my tag.. thanks mark .. i think you have cleared it up for me..

·
Registered
727 Posts
Becasue there are visual clues on the tag. Don't have to know what the VIN is to tell that the trim tag is real or not, but if someone wants to know whether their car is a Z28 or an SS you have to be able to tell if the trim tag is real or not, and to tell if the tag came on that car originally. If someone has a car with a VIN that indicates it was made in January and the car has a trim tag dated April then its obvious one of the tags didn't come on the car originally.

As far as what makes a tag a fake, we (collectively) do not discuss in an open forum what features make a tag a fake or not. We don't need the guys making the fakes fixing the problems they have, and making the tags better.

I would estimate that fully 5% or 69 Z28's and big block SS's on Ebay are outright fakes with restamped engines,and fake trim tags. This 5% number doesn't include clones where people just paint up their cars and slap SS, or Z28 stripes on them and then call them Z28s or SS's. These are just the cars specifically made to defraud some buyer of his or her money.
I would guess that it is substantially more than 5%. Just a guess. Mike. :beers: :beers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts