Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone used these "with success" on rounded off frozen brake line fittings?

This stubborn fitting is for the rear soft hose where it meets the hard line

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Piece-Fl...825861&hash=item283c85d87d:g:bGUAAOSwP2FZi0s5

No visible signs of rust but this fitting will not budge. Liquid Wrench, PB, torch.

I have Flare wrench set. The 7/16 is "lose", 3/8 is to small and I don't wont to destroy the fitting. I have filed the faces of the fitting to remove the rounded corners from "previous" owner/mechanics

this XForce tool looks promising

thoughts?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Looks ‘iffy’. Depending on the strength of the loop it may flex quickly and not grip well.

When the flare wrench starts turning and slipping I’ll usually grab small vise grips. Usually I can get it with those. If it screws up the fitting either file it or cut the line and reflare a new tube nut on.

Reactions: rp930

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was hoping to avoid surgery. Tough to get flare tool in there

Vice grips have always been the go to, along with penetrating oil, but I can't jet a good perpendicular grip with the vice. small open end or flare wrench I have enough access....but not much leverage. I can combo a box wrench on though for more

Watching the video demo of the Flex Force the size of the tool will work within the space I have. $65 tool, ouch. but my sense is I need some hex head compression tool to get this fitting to break lose

Curious if anyone used this one or similar.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
Try a crowfoot line wrench with the proper length extention and an impact gun in reverse. Obviously you can't pull the trigger but just enough to break it loose. Harbor Freight has a cheap set of crowfoots.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try a crowfoot line wrench with the proper length extention and an impact gun in reverse.
A flare crowsfoot wrench fits just like a regular flare wrench....but flare wrench slips, at least 7/16" does.

That is why I was looking at something like the Flex Force wrench which "compresses" around the fitting the more pressure you put on it. I can get the leverage with a flare wrench...just the wrench slips so need a tool that will bite on the fitting better than a flare or crowsfoot will

I can buy a 11mm flare to see if it is snug enough to hold or a 10 and file the end until it fits the fitting tight. I was able to restore the fitting to "6 sides hex" using a file so don't want to distort it by using vice grip that I can't get on it at a good angle or mis fitting wrench

The flex wrench is also sold by Snap-On for very high $. Supposedly XForce makes them for Snap-On and this is the same tool...supposedly

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE:

The Flex Wrench worked......but I needed to use vice grips on it to compress the end on the fitting as the "leverage" the tool applies itself still was not enough to keep it from spinning on the fitting

Because of the angle/position of this fitting I could not get vice grips on it correctly from a perpendicular angle. The Flex wrench I could and then that tool was easy to get a WAY solid grip from vice grips on it. with a breaker bar added to the Flex Wrench and a 5/8 wrench counter holding the hose it broke free and spun off easily from that point.

Needless to say the hardest line fitting I have ever encountered but got the new rear rubber line in.

Gravity bleeding the brakes

·
10,160 Posts
I have used a pair of vise grip pliers over a flare nut wrench to keep it from expanding. I have a great pair of old flare nut wrenches which are 6 point, not 12 point and they are twice as beefy as any others I've seen.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
My early 1960's Craftsmans six point line wrenches have never let me down. No China metal in them so they don't flex.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Here in the north east flex isn’t the issue but rather detoriated (technical term for rusted) 50 year old flare nuts. Flare nuts that are slightly undersized are the ones that spin in the 6pt flare wrenches and round off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts