Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried out the Year One 17" Corvette Rally wheels on a 69? They appear to be a new product and are by far the cheapest 17" aluminum Corvette style rally wheel I have seen, a full set for $1k.

https://www.yearone.com/Product/wheels/crwsd1

The only problem I see is that the offset is slightly off what is recommended in all of the forum data. Looking at the 17x8 with 4.5"BS and the 17x9 with 5"BS. Could I still use a 235/45-17 and 275/40-17 tire without clearance issues? If not, what would I downsize to? My car is lowered 2" in the front, 1.5" in the back, has sub frame connectors and the frame rail sway bar brace.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I ran 15x8 wheels with 4.5" back spacing, and if I remember right a 225/60/15 tire is about the same diameter as a 235/45/17 tire. 1" drop springs in the front and had zero rubbing issues.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Year One seems to be bad about being 1/4" off on their backspacing. Had a set of their 15x7 rally wheels specifically sold for Camaro and they were 4" instead of 4-1/4" like originals.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I like the look of them but I think the back space is too shallow. Maybe they will expand their offerings.
Nope. 4.5" backspace on an 8" rim is perfect.

The 5" backspace on a 9" rim sounds good too. Guys running 9.5" wheels are using 5.5" backspace.

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
Has anyone tried out the Year One 17" Corvette Rally wheels on a 69? They appear to be a new product and are by far the cheapest 17" aluminum Corvette style rally wheel I have seen, a full set for $1k.

https://www.yearone.com/Product/wheels/crwsd1
According to the link:
Wheels will be shipping in June 2014. Due to the custom nature of these wheels, they are NON-RETURNABLE if tires have been mounted on them.
I am interested in these. I wonder if you can use 67 short caps

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am also interested in these and had the same concern about the backspacing being too shallow. Everything I read also suggests 5.25 backspace for 9" rear wheels. Since I am also putting 4th gen (a.k.a. ls1) rear brakes on my car, I am going to wait and take careful measurements to make sure these will not stick out. I have 3" rear drop springs so the offset must be right. The only off shelf wheel I have found with what seems to be the right offset are the rocket racing booster wheels. However, the pictures I have seen with the wheels on a 68 seem to show the wheel slightly sticking out past the rear fender wells. I would be interested in seeing any pictures of these rally wheels on a 67/68 once they become available to the public. I am subscribed to this thread now. These wheels would fit my build perfectly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Any updates on these? I see that they are supposed to ship this month. Just wanted to see an actual photo of the wheel to see the lip finish on the wheel before ordering a set.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Did anyone get these yet? I am eager to see what a real picture looks like because I am not sure about the machined lip and I would like to hear about back spacing. They are offering free shipping and a discount price right now on these wheels. I would get them and mock myself but my project is not assembled that far yet. Looking forward to any pics guys...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bump to the top. Curious if anyone had tried these on their Camaro yet? I have seen pics of them on other GM cars but curious about back spacing for our cars... Anyone have pics to share?

·
Registered
853 Posts
I THINK that is what is on Tim Allen's 68 Camaro "COPO" (not a copo, that's just what he calls it. Its a modern take on a copo)
There is a Jeno Lenos Garage YouTube video on it, you can get a lot of views of them installed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am really interested in these wheels also. Would a 275 with the 9" fit in the rear?
My exact concern. I feel like they would stick out slightly past the wheel well on 67/68 camaros causing rubbing issues. It would be great to see them on a 67/68 camaro (not 69 because they have more room out back). I have seen these pics of them on a chevelle but that is about it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Would like to see pics of these on a 69 if anybody's got them too! The 235/45 front tire and 275/40 rear would be the sizes I would probably choose as well.

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
Maybe its time for somebody to photo shop them onto a camaro or be a hero and be the first to buy them. Myself, I'll be going with the Wheel Vintiques if I step up to 17's. Very happy with their 15 x 8 ralleys with the 4.5 backspace.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Has anyone contacted Year One? I'm sure if anyone has photos of them on 68-69 Camaros it would be them either from marketing or testimonial reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

1 - 20 of 26 Posts