Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I trailered it over to the track yesterday... kudos to the fine staff at Portland International Raceways... they checked me in with no problem, and I've got my own number for the year... 484F.

Found out I had too much rubber in my fuel line, so that has to be taken out and replaced with metal line since I'm limited to 12 inches total rubber hose for the entire length of my fuel line. That has to be fixed, along with a metal fuel filter and a replacement for my dual feed line for the carbs.

But they let me run anyway. So, for the first time ever with my car, and the first time in 30 years, I gave it a shot.

The problem?

My primary carb took a dump.

Something is wrong with the carb, and at idle, it's just puking fuel into the primary venturis. (Edlebrock 4106's)

It's flooding out at idle... so I had to set the idle way up to keep it from stalling.

The result?

Top speed of 83 in the 1/4. Best light, 1.83 these numbers out of 6 runs.

Did some great burn outs. Discovered on take off that old street tires really don't do well. Screwed with the timing... but the carb is shot.

Rebuild? Replace? Blow up?

Then, one of the ramps fell off the trailer and landed on my wife's foot. Massive pain, she was sure it was broken.

It wasn't. But it was a perfect capper to an otherwise crapper night.

·
Super Moderator
32,347 Posts
Sorry to hear about the wife's foot. You'll be helping her at her beck & call........

Fuel out of the vent means too much inlet pressure or debris stuck in the needle & seat.

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
That sounds like a bad day.... It happens even to the best, your wifes foot is probably the worst as she im sure is still in pain... The carb may have had a stuck float or needle has some junk in it.. How much fuel psi do you have.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a regulator and I'm running at around 5 psi on the gage.

I was thinking about switching the carbs around and turning the now primary "off," but screwing the idle screws all the way in.

But as I think about it (float issues are VERY likely) that wouldn't resolve it, either.

·
Banned
3,176 Posts
Fix it man!....It's just a common float problem!....Start off by shaking the floats to make sure they are not filled with gasoline (Common on Edelbrock carbs).....Install a new needle and seat assembly and carefully adjust both the float level and float drop.....I remember years back I had a big block chevy cylinder head sitting straight up on the kitchen floor and somehow that son of a bitch fell and landed right smack on my big toe!.....Talk about pain!.....I believe that head cracked my big toe because if you look at my big toe, it is sort of crooked, not straight like my other big toe!.....And it still pains today especially when I wear my pointed toe cowboy boots!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts