Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Camaro SS350
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reversion? Kinda understand what it is. On combustion cycle intake has not closed all the way as exhaust is exiting and some is pushed back into intake port? Close? Was told there are a lot of signs of reversion showing on my old cylinder heads that I've taken off. Is there an issue with motor? Is there a fix? Should I be worried about it? Just about 1000 miles on motor and I feel I've been cursed. Can't believe all the issues that have cropped up in lasted year. Anything else happens and I might have to sell car. I have never had to deal with so many things that have happened. Would use stronger language in describing but don't want to get in trouble.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Reversion? Kinda understand what it is. On combustion cycle intake has not closed all the way as exhaust is exiting and some is pushed back into intake port? Close? Was told there are a lot of signs of reversion showing on my old cylinder heads that I've taken off. Is there an issue with motor? Is there a fix? Should I be worried about it? Just about 1000 miles on motor and I feel I've been cursed. Can't believe all the issues that have cropped up in lasted year. Anything else happens and I might have to sell car. I have never had to deal with so many things that have happened. Would use stronger language in describing but don't want to get in trouble.
Is there an issue with the way it ran? The camshaft controls when the valves open and close.

·
Registered
1969 Camaro SS350
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Car seem to be running fine. Pulled plugs out to change them and decided to check compression. Three cylinders were 60 pounds low.After doing a leak down test pulled off the heads and saw a bunch of black residue under the intake valves. Was told it was reversion and the black was the exhaust going back into the intake. I would’ve never guessed if I hadn’t pulled off the heads.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Find a new engine builder. I’m assuming the intake valves on 3 cylinders weren’t seating? Who did the valve job?

·
Registered
1969 Camaro SS350
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exhaust 2.5 all way over rearend and set flowmaster with H-pipe. On heads, I only checked 3 cylinders with low compression. Did leak down test that confirmed exhaust valves. Didn’t check rest of cylinders for any leak down but upon tearing heads down quite a few of the seats looked suspect. Didn’t cross my mind at time. They all had good compression except the 3. Haven’t made it to shop yet to talk head issue. About 40 mile drive but its on my agenda soon.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
It sounds to me like bad valve guides. Oil leaks down on the top side of the intake valves and turns to a charcoal like accumulation. Reversion is seen in long overlap camshafts. Leaking is seen in poor valve jobs. You might need to look for a different engine guy.

·
Registered
1969 Camaro SS350
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It sounds to me like bad valve guides. Oil leaks down on the top side of the intake valves and turns to a charcoal like accumulation. Reversion is seen in long overlap camshafts. Leaking is seen in poor valve jobs. You might need to look for a different engine guy.
For sure different engine shop. Was recommended to me by local Chevy restoration parts store. Anyone from Washington State area that can recommend shop in Olympia area or close by?

·
Premium Member
2,557 Posts
Not reversion. You have an issue with valve seals on those cylinders.

Reactions: rp930

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I stole this picture from the web. You may only need to have the heads re-done, but with bad workmanship it usually does not limit itself to the heads.

Road surface Asphalt Wood Plant Composite material

·
Registered
1969 Camaro SS350
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I stole this picture from the web. You may only need to have the heads re-done, but with bad workmanship it usually does not limit itself to the heads.

View attachment 294075
They were bare 041 casting heads when I picked them up. With purchase of new valves, springs, retainers, keepers, seals, machine work I probable had close to $800 into them. Year later had spring pockets machined out and valve springs, keepers, retainers etc setup for roller cam. Maybe another $500. So decided not to redo them, getting kinda expensive. Put heads away for future owner and decide to pickup a new set aftermarket heads. Disassembling to install my roller cam spring setup noticed some issues and here I am waiting to talk to vendor Monday. More than lkely have to return them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts