Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have been browsing this site continually for days as well as internet and garages and I have come up with a big blank. Here is my issue (1967 Camaro Coupe):
Both signal lights work (front and rear)
Hazzard lights work (front and rear)
Tail lights do come on when park or headlights are on
Since I have lights in the back, I am assuming (I hate that word) that my grounds are fine.

NO BRAKE LIGHTS.

I have replaced the brake switch as the old one looked like it was the cause of the issue, but that didn't do the trick.
I have no idea where else to start looking and we have too much snow on the ground to drive my car to the garage. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
1) check fuses
2) Check for power at the brake lite switch
3) disconnect the brake lite switch and put a jumper wire into the connector, see if lights come on, if so switch needs adjustment.

Welcome to TEAM Camaro

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
1) check fuses
2) Check for power at the brake lite switch
3) disconnect the brake lite switch and put a jumper wire into the connector, see if lights come on, if so switch needs adjustment.

Welcome to TEAM Camaro
And if none of that works, start looking at the directional switch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which fuse specifically? the reason I ask is that my fuse panel has 5 glasstube fuses, but I'll be damned if I can tell you which one does what, the lettering is all but non existant.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Check them all with a circuit tester,( don't have a 67 fuse box infront of me). One of them was labeled "Stop" should be a 20 amp fuse if I remember correctly

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, well I am at least in the right direction. I tested all the circuits off the fuse panel, 1 is dead (4th one down). I replaced all the fuses and still no brake lights. From there I removed the brake switch and tested to see if there was any power getting to it. nada. This leads me to beleive that I need to remove the fuse panel and verify that the wiring is correct on back of it, as I think it is the 4th fuse connector that powers the brakes.

Well keep you all posted on progress, never know might help someone else out of a jam.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
4th down sounds about right for stop fuse. Check the wiring between stop switch and fuse box, box may be corroded

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Alright, well I am at least in the right direction. I tested all the circuits off the fuse panel, 1 is dead (4th one down). I replaced all the fuses and still no brake lights. From there I removed the brake switch and tested to see if there was any power getting to it. nada. This leads me to beleive that I need to remove the fuse panel and verify that the wiring is correct on back of it, as I think it is the 4th fuse connector that powers the brakes.

Well keep you all posted on progress, never know might help someone else out of a jam.
Did you check the bulbs? Do you have # 1156 in the brake sockets? You should have #1157 as its a dual filament, one for running lights/directional and one for the brake light.
Kev

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
The 4th fuse down is the instrument lamps. This fuse is powered by the headlight switch, you will only read voltage there IF the headlights are on and the dimmer is turned to bright.

The stop lights are powered by the bottom fuse.

I've emailed you a pic of the 67 fusebox.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Jim...

Been busy with of all things work, I kinda put the lights on the back burner and am currently replacing engine hoses and gaskets..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts