Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched on this site and done extensive research in this subject. Now I need help. My 68 gauge reads at about the 3 o'clock position (125% full). I made a new ground for the one under the tank (although the old one looked good) and it did not help. So I then took the wiring harnesss loose at the junction right before it goes into the trunk floor. I put a test light on the harness, with the key on, and got a light AND the gauge moved toward full. My question now is this-- Does this automatically mean that the tank has to be pulled to check the ground attachment at the sending unit itself? Or can the problem be a ground to the gauge itself? If that is the problem, what specifically do I look/test for?

Thanks for any input.


------------------
Brad
68, 327, TH350 (assembly in process)
Godspeed #3
 

·
Gold Lifetime Member
Joined
·
1,670 Posts
Does your gas gause read 125% full all the time or what. Something I ran in to with my 68 was that my gas gauge worked fine until I turned on my lights. I did alot of troubleshooting with it and concluded that my sender was bad (I thought). I ended up replacing all the factory harnesses (was going to do it anyway) and put a new sending unit in the tank. Put it all together (with all new stuff) and turned my lights on, same problem! What I figured out was that the connector for the gas sending wire and the license plate light were switched (both had same type spaid connectors and go right next to each other on the rear light harness (under trunk latch.) Maybe this might help you or save someone alot of time and aggravation!

130fe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Found my problem. The tan wire on top of the tank came off. Was a bitch putting it back on without pulling the tank.

------------------
'68 Camaro Coupe
350, PG trans
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went ahead and pulled my tank. I convinced myself that I was going to paint it anyway, and it came out with no problem. The entire sending unit was intact and the ground soldered to it looked good. I got a new sending unit today and my POR-15 will be in later this week. I should put it back together this weekend. I will keep you posted.

------------------
Brad
68, 327, TH350 (assembly in process)
Godspeed #3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For anybody that is interested, sending unit swap worked. All the wires were intact when it came off, just a little corroded. I did not bench test it though. Works like a charm now. Tank looks great with the POR-15. That stuff is pretty cool. I'll be putting it in my rusted trunk before long. Any way that saga is over, now to the autometer gauge swap, leaking rear main seal, leaking tranny, etc.

------------------
Brad
68, 327, TH350 (assembly in process)
Godspeed #3
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top