Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK; First of all I have read the entire sticky on the subject of replacing 67 mono leaf springs with the JC Whitney 3 leaf springs. Allot of good info there. My question is a bit different;

I have a 67 Camaro that I am doing a great deal of work to and one of the upgrades I had planned was the 3 leaf JC springs to replace my mono springs. BUT I lucked on to a 12 Bolt posi rear out of a 69 Camaro that I have rebuilt and want to use. It has the multi leaf spring perches on it. Soooo if I use the 12 bolt rear I obviously dont need the spacer kit from Detroit Speed. I have a new u-bolt kit I plan to use but Im wondering if there will be a gap when everything is bolted up? I see some of the 69 cars had 4 & even 5 leaf springs in them. I suppose I can make a thicker version of the top spacer with the hole in it that comes with the DS kit if this is an issue but I wanted to see if anyone else had done a similar conversion.
Again 12 bolt multi leaf rear with a the JC Whitney 3 leaf springs is what Im asking. I have the springs already as I bought them over a year ago so Im stuck with them. I had thought about buying a set of the 4 or 5 leaf springs to use now that I have this 12 bolt rear but am unsure which to buy to get the propper stance and ride. just looking for some been there done that views. thanks

·
Registered
479 Posts
The jcw 3 leaves are intended for a mono leaf perch installation so im not sure if they are thicker but if so not much. it should be pretty easy to sell the jcw 3's due to the fact that alot of people run them also i think there still on back order not 100% though. the spacer thing im sure some others who know alot more will chime in good luck man :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I have the 3 leafs in my 69 multi leaf rear. So yes the 3 leafs will work. Make yourself a spacer that is the thickness of a leaf. I used a piece of alum flat stock I think it was 3/8" thick. I cut it the length of the perch pads. Then I drilled a hole in the center for the centering leaf pin to fit into. I suppose you could take out the leaf guide bolt and install a longer one. But the issue you may have is with the upper shock mounting holes. On the 67 the shocks are both on the front of the axle. And on the 68's and 69's the shocks are staggered. And I believe the upper mounting hole location is the issue. Contact David P. over in the suspension section and ask him what you might have to do. I don't know if all you have to do is get shock extensions.

·
Retired
26,615 Posts
You will need a solid spacer to fill in the gap when using 3 leaf springs. Hotchkis will give you spacers if you are using their springs. You might contact them and offer to buy some of them...

Keep in mind if you add a spacer above the spring it will lower the car more when you are putting things together...

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
With a 12 bolt swap out from a 10 bolt. Will the spring anchor plates need to be changed as well? Or can I use the mono leaf anchor plates along with the mono leaf KYB shocks I have in there now?

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
With a 12 bolt swap out from a 10 bolt. Will the spring anchor plates need to be changed as well? Or can I use the mono leaf anchor plates along with the mono leaf KYB shocks I have in there now?
I assume your 10 bolt is a mono perch and your 12 bolt is a multi perch. (67 12 bolts were all mono perch)

If you have wide rims, good chance the mono shock plate or the end of the shock will hit the wheel because the deeper multi perch will move it closer to the ground. If that's not an issue, then you can use the mono plate. Shock extenders would be a good idea.

The best plan is to use multi plates. DSE makes the best I've seen, and they're slightly less $ than the repros. Your current shocks can still be used with the correct mounting hardware.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts