Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was watching the Car & Driver review of the 35th anniversary Camaro. They did a retro piece on the 1st gen Z/28. In their explanation they said in effect that 4 wheel disk brakes were standard equipment on the Z's.

I thought 4 wheel discs were the JL8 option & that these were pretty rare. I didn't think 4 wheel discs were standard, but were optional.

Can someone set the record straight ? Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
according to my book 1969 was the first and last year fo the JL8 option. of the thousands of Z/28's produced that year only 508 were ordered with the JL8 option and less then 200 were combined with the cross ram intake. so it definatly was not standard equipment and thats why their so rare.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Originally posted by angie rs/ss:
Yesterday I was watching the Car & Driver review of the 35th anniversary Camaro. They did a retro piece on the 1st gen Z/28. In their explanation they said in effect that 4 wheel disk brakes were standard equipment on the Z's.

I thought 4 wheel discs were the JL8 option & that these were pretty rare. I didn't think 4 wheel discs were standard, but were optional.

Can someone set the record straight ? Thanks.

There were only 206 JL8 4 wheel disc cars produced. That number may have been inflated by general motors. Crossram's were dealer installed and never in the trunk of the car as some have speculated.
Not all JL8's have the crossram setup.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Chevrolet had claimed that 206 cars were built with the JL8 4 wheel disc brake option. Not all of those were Z28's. But that number of 206 has been questioned and Chevrolet now says that was an arbitrary number and it is probably closer to 100. The crossram was never an option on the Z28, you had to buy it from the dealer. Car and Driver has a lot of misinformation on their shows.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged) & driven daily, Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, being restored

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
I enjoyed the show in spite of the usual detail inaccuracies ('cause the '69Z they showed smokin' the hides was identical to mine
). For those who may be interested, you can get a tape of the show for $12.95 + $4.95 S&H - call 1-877-853-7260 and ask for a copy of show #21-18, "Camaro 35th Anniversary" show.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

[This message has been edited by JohnZ (edited 11-12-2001).]

·
Registered
30 Posts
i do agree with the 206 prduction figures (which is easy to remember because its the opposite numder of 67 Z's produced)i just used some other info i saw recently which showed 508.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The # RPO JL8's is listed at 206, but there was a service (over the counter package)which was available. The rpo JL8 is the more desirable. I know of about 8 real JL8's and a couple of built cars.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm not as rabid about this stuff as some of you guys seem to be(and I mean that in the most kind way!!!).In all my years of crawling around and under every first-gen,particularly 69's,that I see,I have NEVER seen a JL-8 car and have seen ONE crossram car(drum rear brakes).More rare than hen's teeth!!

------------------
HDZ/28

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
There were at least 4 gennie JL8 Camaros here in WI:

orange with orange interior (briefly owned)
fathom green with black standard
burnished brown with black standard
a gorgeous daytona yellow RS, yellow interior, black vinyl roof

I'm certain they all still exist.

Ed Cunneen also had one, another collector in IL has had several. Seem to be plenty around; I've seen far fewer 67 Z/28s. Odd since there are supposed to be 3 times as many.

And there are no crossram cars. Wasn't even an option.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does the JL8 rear have a different code? Without orginal info, can you tell if it was fitted later? Also, are the calipers 4 piston, like the early vette's?

·
Registered
725 Posts
I know of a green one ordered accidentally.
The dealer said, "Do you want disk brakes?"

The owner said, "Sure," meaning front disks.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM, fold down seat, tilt wheel, Torque Thrust Wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust, locking gas cap
COMING SOON Corvette tripower, small body HEI, and maybe "842" aluminum heads
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1169124&a=8603468

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Yes, the JL8 used the 4 piston calipers but they were mounted with different brackets than the 67/68 cars. Every piece to the JL8 brake system is unique and expensive. I know of around 12-13 documented JL8 cars. The crossram is a natural fit with the JL8 since the JL8 option was really for racing purposes.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged) & driven daily, Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, being restored

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I have a friend that keeps claiming he has a JL8 car and that its a COPO 427 to boot!
I guess I'm going to have to go look now and see what he's really got. What does the original JL8 cars have thats different he's
told me before the calipers front are different from 67/68 and the mount brackets.
I guess I'll have to dig up Camaro Untold Secrets and take a look I remember pictures in detail of the whole JL8 setup.
Does anyone know of big-block JL8 cars or COPO's being built?

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I thought there was a dealer in CA that had a 396 Pace Car that is claimed to have the JL8 brakes, but I don't think it has documentation. I thought the special black/gold ZL1 that GM built for taking to shows or to show what they could build had the JL8 brakes as well.

------------------

·
Registered
725 Posts
I called about an RS SS 350 convertible that sounded like it had the JL8 option. The guy said he bought it from the original owner who raced slalom with it. He had the original paperwork and pictures of the car in a newspaper from the 70's. He kept telling me it cost over $5,000 new and that it had the disk brakes on it. I was on vacation and wasn't paying attention, so by the time I got back home and realized what it was, it was already sold. The car was Frost green with black deluxe interior but had repainted orange. It had power windows, tilt, gauges, M21. I wonder who's got it now? The guy was only asking $25,000.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM, fold down seat, tilt wheel, Torque Thrust Wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust, locking gas cap
COMING SOON Corvette tripower, small body HEI, and maybe "842" aluminum heads
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1169124&a=8603468

1 - 20 of 25 Posts