1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,537 Posts
Which year?

·
Registered
356 Posts
The only optional disc brakes in 1968 were the 4 piston design, more Z28's probably got them then the other models, but no, the same disc was available as an option for all models.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Unless they are the JL8 setup which was basically a set of corvette 11.75" discs and calipers on the front and rear. I don't think those were offered until '69 though and if that IS what your buddy has, then they're worth a good amount of $$$. Some info/pics on the JL8 setup from CHP's article here: http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/0607ch_1969_chevy_camaro/index.html

The only other thing I've seen listed as "different" for the Z28 was the power booster. A lot of parts houses seem to list the Z28 as having a Bendix booster versus a Delco Moraine booster for "everything else".

One other thing to note -- the 67/68 cars used the 4-piston calipers as Robert mentioned and the '69+ cars used the single piston calipers. The original-style 4-piston calipers tend to be leak prone due to the piston seal design (or so I'm told). If the price is right, it might be worth the risk, but if you're going from scratch, I'd suggest looking at the '69 style setup, which should bolt right up...

-T

·
Registered
356 Posts
Aren't the JL8 calipers pretty much the same thing as the 67/68 4 piston? I guess the rotors may be larger, 11.75" vs 11" But otherwise what's the difference?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts