Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
It's actually became a required option for all cars in process as of May 19th 1969, for both the spoiler and U17 gauge package, same day the Chambered exhaust dissappeared forever, and the N10 dual exhaust system got the chrome tailpipe tips.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Mark C, I am not disagreeing with you, only wanting to know what you are basing your info on. MacNeish and Hooper both show in their books that January was when the tach became required. Personal experience I have seen alot of real Z's January and earlier that do not have tachs but never one built after mid-late January. Again, I am not agueing, just trying to educate myself if you have info I dont. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Hooper, Ha Ha Ha good one. Had lot's of info 20 years ago, a lot of it was wrong just no one knew any better at the time. Needs some serious updating and corrections.

I'll see if I can dig out the GM letter describing the changes. I know I have the chambered exuast one, and might have the Spoiler, gauge, and chrome tip one as well.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
January 1969 is when Chevrolet added the tachometer requirement when ordering a Z/28. However there were so many orders in the system at that time it was many months before cars ordered after Jan 1 were built. Camaro Corral magazine Feb/Mar '87 did a feature on a documented JL8 Z/28 N647420 05C build, no tachometer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts