Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you use?
I know most of us use oil with zink in it. that being said those who don't and use an additive, what do you use?

·
Registered
662 Posts
I just added some lucas stuff...

Lucas Says: adding one 16oz bottle adds "5000 ppm" when added to 4.5 quarts.

part number 10063

·
Registered
209 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Better check the specs on that Rotella. Formula has changed in the last few years.
You are correct to a point, it does not have as much ZDDP as it used to but it still has 1200PPM as I recall. That is significantly more than newer oils contain.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
You may be correct. I did not research the numbers. Just heard they had changed.

For guys running new oils in a vintage car: I would not trust any additive other than GM eos, which is now called an assembly lube (for political reasons). I run 1/2 bottle, added at the time of my oil change.

It has been around forever. Even eos has less zinc than it used to have.

If you don't want to run any additive, and want dino oil, Mobil Delvac is a good choice.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Just a heads up - you cannot simply add zinc phosphate to motor oil.

Zinc Phosphate is not a lubricant (like oil), it is a plating process.

Detergents in motor oils may not be compatible with zinc phosphate, they can prevent or remove the plating that occurs on cam and lifter.

·
Premium Member
‘67 RS
579 Posts
This article by Duke Williams cuts through a lot of the myths and misinformation around ZDDP levels in oil.

"Engine Oil for Vintage Corvettes"

If you google the above title with the quotes, you will get to the article. It's a very good read with lots of technical info about what to look for on oil labels.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Lynn, fwiw I've had the Rotella T6 5W-40 synthetic and Delo 5W-40 synthetic tested within the last year. Both came back over 1200ppm zinc, I think the decrease was from 1400ppm. The few replies from Shell I've seen on other boards indicates 1200ppm is their formulation for all of their diesel/gas rated oils that do not have the "starburst" on them. Also, to be on the safe side my builder said minimum 1400ppm for their warranty if running a "performance or race" flat tappet and they also recommended it for aggressive rollers. Heck, it's good for everything in the engine so if there's no cats there's no reason not to run it....I ran the Delo and T6 in my LS1 and use it in my roller cam 400.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Hmmm, interesting.

I only sent the first change to Blackstone for analysis. I would have to hunt down the breakdown I received back, but there was nothing that showed poorly. I was definitely pleased enough to continue using (and recommending) it.

·
Retired
16,013 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
I was using the ZDDPlus additive until I switched over to Amsoil Z-Rod oil.

Good stuff, IMO.

·
Registered
33 Posts
With my BP Motors 383 it was recommended that I use SAE-30. Now they recommend 15w-40 Shell Rotella T. It's all so confusing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts