Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey yall... that is a ZL-1... show a little respect...

zroc

·
Retired
26,640 Posts
It's a factory ZL-1, photo angles can be deciving... The point is there was nothing special in the stance of a ZL-1!! Most had dog dish hubcaps and looked like the plane jane 327, 307 and 6cyl cars!!

Jim - there are several things you can do to alter your suspension, even tire and wheel selection can have a big effect on stance. Spend some time reading through the posts in the suspension forum. You'll see what I mean. Oh! You may not ever get the look your after using a '69 as the model because of the change in body lines and wheel well openings.

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

·
Registered
48 Posts
I didn't mean to imply that a ZL1 sat any diffent from any other Camaro. I was just saying that none of em sat that high from the factory. Camera angles aside, that car shows the tops of both the left side tires with several inches to spare and they just didn't have that stance when new. A local kid, several years younger than I am got one for his 15th birthday. (Can you imagine hauling your parents around in that thing for a year with a learner's permit?) His parents, of considerable resources bought each of the 4 kids any car they wanted when they turned 15. This was his request and his mother found it in Colorado, drove her Cadillac out and flat towed it back to Georgia on a bumper hitch with only the driveshaft removed. After the car had been street raced, drag raced, changed to small block, then left outside for a number of years, I stupidly passed on it in the mid 80's for $3500. with tons of paperwork, and the phone # of the guy who had the original engine in a jet boat. I still have pictures of the car when close to new somewhere and also in the poor state it was in when available for sale. It ended up restored in the Milton Robson collection (Gainsville Ga) which is frequently mentioned on one of the car shows (My Classic Car or either American Muscle Car????) on TNN and I've got more pictures of it in that showcase. It's since been sold and I don't know where it is. It's Hugger Orange.

[This message has been edited by SolidLifters (edited 12-23-2001).]

·
Registered
285 Posts
The hugger orange #65 ZL-1 remains in GA and resides in Jasper about 30 miles north of Atlanta. The ZL-1 owner also owns the Jasper Jeep dealership.

·
Registered
87 Posts
not all 50 copo 9567,s were built that plain looking. i have a picture of one rs, black with gold z-28 stripes,black vinyl roof,cowl induction hood,ZL-1 emblems.book says two were dolled up by design staff for the enjoyment of chevrolet executives.the story goes that these chevy execs used to take a couple of ZL-1 camaros out on woodward ave. during their lunch breaks and dust off everything in sight.

·
Retired
26,640 Posts
There are 69 total production ZL-1's. Fred Gibb got the orig 50 and sent 37 of them back as he couldn't sell them for 7K+.

Some good info available at www.copo.com Read the Inrtoduction and then part way down the page is more on the ZL-1

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

·
Registered
285 Posts
The COPO 9560's were the 69 ZL-1's; the COPO 9561's were the iron block L-72 427's. The COPO 9567's were the 2 black/gold engineering cars which de-tuned ZL-1's and were never released to the public. Almost any option was available on both the COPO 9560's and 9561's although most were strippers due to their intended use as racers.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
This ZL-1 scored 994 points (out of 1000) at the Nationals....the only reason any points were lost is because he refused to overspray, and put in other "imperfections".

This car is as perfect as a car can get!

(Thanks Larry !)

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTop
~~~~and~~~~
Pro-Touring.com DropTop
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS/Z28

[This message has been edited by ZZ430DropTop67RS (edited 12-24-2001).]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts