Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We inherited an old 1965 corvette but the engine was not original.
The engine is a 1969 427 ZL1 winters block with corresponding intake manifold and heads. Now obviously we know that this is a valued engine for Camaro enthusiasts so we are considering putting it up for sale. Anyone know the best forum for listing it. Serious answers please.

·
Premium Member
CRG
4,694 Posts
Does it have a partial VIN? What is stamped on the pad? Block casting date?

·
Premium Member
5,130 Posts
Most of the ballers hang out on yenko.net

Don

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does it have a partial VIN? What is stamped on the pad? Block casting date?
The engine casting number 3946052
Cylinder head casting number 3946074
Intake casting number 3933163
winters snowflake stamped on block and manifold

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Yenko.net requires sellers to pay a $30 a year (I believe) fee for the privilege of listing on the 'buy or sell' forum. That's quite reasonable in my opinion for access to the big money buyers that hang there.

·
15,104 Posts
Need the vin from the pad stamp

·
Retired
26,854 Posts
If you can get the partial VIN off the pad I can forward it to someone that probably knows who owns the car it goes to...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Without the VIN and all of the numbers and dates, it could be worth very little $3K or less. But to the right person who owns the original car (or will create one), it could be $30K or more.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Without the VIN and all of the numbers and dates, it could be worth very little $3K or less. But to the right person who owns the original car (or will create one), it could be $30K or more.

Some ZL1 engines were sold over the counter and will not have a VIN. Not sure if these were stamped CE like others.

I think the value will be significant even if it is an over the counter sale. A good four bolt 512 block is worth about $2,500 so I’m betting a complete ZL1 is going to fetch a tone of cash.

There is one for sale at Heartbeat City for $27k

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some ZL1 engines were sold over the counter and will not have a VIN. Not sure if these were stamped CE like others.

I think the value will be significant even if it is an over the counter sale. A good four bolt 512 block is worth about $2,500 so I’m betting a complete ZL1 is going to fetch a tone of cash.

There is one for sale at Heartbeat City for $27k

Yes, as far as we can know there were engines produced that were not originally in vehicles. We think this was a production engine to be used as stock for the Camaros that blew their original engines racing.

·
15,104 Posts
Yes, as far as we can know there were engines produced that were not originally in vehicles. We think this was a production engine to be used as stock for the Camaros that blew their original engines racing.
Please post pictures of the engine. It's not possible to guesstimate value unless we can see what you have.

·
Premium Member
CRG
4,694 Posts
Pics of any stampings would be nice to have.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Now all you have to do is take a picture of the block ledge on the front passenger's side where the head meets the block. Right near the water pump.

I'm guessing CE.

CE is the next best thing to an actual born with ZL-1.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Docandjer04, this is the area they are talking about that might list a VIN or other significant stamp. look in the area shown below, facing up;

1 - 20 of 25 Posts