Team Camaro Tech banner

Zl1 engine

4K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  DjD 
#1 ·
Did chevrolet only build 69 Zl1 engines for the 69 camaro or could you just buy the engine over the counter??

#3 ·
Starting sometime in '99 or '00, you could once again get the ZL1 aluminum big block from GM Performance Parts. It is from the same tooling, different alloy of aluminum (modern), cast iron liner & four-bolt splayed steel main caps. The part # is 12370850, the cost is somewhere around $5K for the bare block (check your local Chevy dealer).

I thought about building one for my Mako Shark II, because that is the way they showed the original for a while (with the ZL1 engine). Because I like to drive it now & then though, I'll probably end up getting the ZZ502/502.

------------------
David
Camaro - '68 327 Coupe, '86 Z-28 IROC 305 TPI
Corvette - '73 Mako Shark II replica, '79 L-82, '82 Cross-fire, '01 Coupe

#4 ·
David,
Nice web site. I have been doing some research on the Motion cars also. I noticed that the Motion Corvette with the custom body by Siva was called a Maco Shark spelled with a "C" and the Chevy showcar was the Mako Shark spelled with a "k". This may have been done for legal reasons. I know a guy who has a Motion Maco Shark for sale. He does not know if it was done by Motion or if it was a homebuilt kit.

#5 ·
I have read that records have been found showing the original ZL1 engine production was about 182. The ZL1 engine was used in many Corvette Road racing cars, drag racing cars, and boat racing. Don Yenko ran a ZL1 engine in a 1969 Camaro at Sebring in 1969 finished 10th overall beating some of the Corvettes.

#6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JOE58:
I know a guy who has a Motion Maco Shark for sale. He does not know if it was done by Motion or if it was a homebuilt kit.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For a $1000, Joel will tell if it is a real one or not. Mine was pretty well documented though, which made it easy to trace the history.

BTW---chances are real high that it was NOT built by Motion. Read this blurb on http://www.d-p-g.com/CorvetteFever/oct97/eS.htm That car looks like the one that Mad Mike shows as now being in Joel's garage. http://www.motionperformance.com/mikejoel.jpg

------------------
David

[This message has been edited by djunod (edited 08-21-2001).]

#7 ·
Hey David,

There is an article on the "new ZL1 in the Sept Super Chevy. It's on page 51. They claim it's not available yet. Have you seen anyone offering it? From what the SC folks say and show it's got some neat updates...

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"

#8 ·
Dennis, one time last year when I was getting parts for one of my cars at the local dealer, I asked for the price of it. They gave me the price, but I don't recall them saying that they couldn't get it.

I'm going out that way tomorrow and will ask them again, including availability...

------------------
David

#10 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by djunod:
Dennis, one time last year when I was getting parts for one of my cars at the local dealer, I asked for the price of it. They gave me the price, but I don't recall them saying that they couldn't get it.

I'm going out that way tomorrow and will ask them again, including availability...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool
Let us know when you can...

#12 ·
Just came back from my local Chevy parts counter. I asked about the availability & pricing on part #12370850 ZL1 Aluminum Big Block (page 95 of the 2001 GM Performance Parts Catalog).

List is $5800, he said he could let me have it for $5500. When I told him it might not actually be shipping, he dialed in to verify that he could get me one---the answer is yes, the warehouse has them in stock & and can ship it out today.

I had to tell him, that I couldn't order it today though... :-(

------------------
David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.