Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready (tomorrow) to swap cams in my ZZ4. Someone told me there is a tool I can use to lift the lifters just enough to remove the cam without removing the intake. I was told by another that I may not need to remove the lifters anyway because of the design. What's the scoop? :D

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
You would have to pull all of them in order to get the cam out... I've never heard of doing that, and I would much rather remove the intake than the entire engine and oil pan to get the lifters that are likely going to fall into the pan...

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
I just did a cam change on my zz4 and had pull the intake. i think you can remove /install a cam on the lsx series without pulling the intake.

the zz4 intake is a good manifold, however, mine really liked the eldebrock EPS manifold. its the only time ive ever noticed a performance gain by a manifold change(with all else the same, heads, carb etc.).

·
Registered
147 Posts
The LS engine is what your friend must be thinking of. With the engine you have you have to pull the intake and remove the lifters.

Good luck with the install and hope you make a lot more power!!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I know of someone who installed a new cam in a c-5 vette and he actually had to pull the heads off the LS1 to replace the cam... I know in certain situations on the lsx you have to pull the heads.

The EPS is a good manifold, even on a high rpm motor, I switched from a Team-G to an eps on a high rpm motor and gained so much more torque down low and so much more vacuum and street ability, still pulls to 7k, sure I lost some up top, but the low end def. makes up for it!

Do yourself a favor and a lot more time spent and pull the intake.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
If that is the case, then a cool tool would be a set of 16 pushrods with rare earth magnets and clamps. You insert the pushrod into the hole, grab the lifter and raise it to a scribe line on the pushrod and clamp it off. You have now raised the lifter enough so you can slide the cam out without having to disturb the intake manifold.

alan

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
If that is the case, then a cool tool would be a set of 16 pushrods with rare earth magnets and clamps. You insert the pushrod into the hole, grab the lifter and raise it to a scribe line on the pushrod and clamp it off. You have now raised the lifter enough so you can slide the cam out without having to disturb the intake manifold.

alan
THe lifter hold down plate also has to be un-bolted to free the lifters> nice thinking however

1 - 12 of 12 Posts