Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to start my new crate engine and can only get it to sputter a bit. I asked a question about wiring to the distributor and starter and figured out that I had my wires wrong on the starter (thanks to your help). I was told to run a separate wire from the fuse box to the HEI distributor, but haven't done that yet. Since it was trying to turn over, I didn't think I needed that. Also, the distributor is close to/touching the firewall and I'm thinking that may also be the problem. Can anyone tell me if either of those (or both) are what is causing the problem??

Thanks a bunch in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Not sure how your wiring is but you need a full 12V source going to the HEI. I would do like is suggested. Run a wire from the IGN lug on the fuse box to the HEI. Thats the way I also run my ZZ4. Have you removed the dist at all? It should start at 0 timing but they need to be set to 10 BTC. If you have gas and it's trying to start, move the dist CCW a bit and see if it will fire. Get your 12V to the HEI first.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey Chris, I guess you tried this but if not, when I went to start mine last year i found out that the dist. was 180 degrees out,set from the factory, if that helps.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
If you have confirmed that you have 12v @ the distributor, I'd check the timing like pa69Can suggests. Disconnect the battery, pull the #1 spark plug and have someone turn the engine by hand until you feel the engine start to blow air out the # plug hole (this means you're on the compression stroke) Slowly rotate the engine until the timing mark line up @ 0 degrees. Pull the distributor cap and confirm the rotor is pointed @ the #1 terminal on the cap.

I'd also double check the firing order.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts