Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the Hot cam in my Fasburn 385, and in the process somehow screwed up the pan gasket and wound up with an annoying oil leak both at the front and the rear. As a result, I now have the engine out and on a stand. This engine uses a one piece GM gasket, which is rubber (neoprene, I presume) over steel on the side rails and rubber only at each end. Does anyone have any advice on where to use/not to use silicone sealer when reinstalling this pan gasket, and any other advice to ensure a successful, leak free installation? I am using a brand new gasket. I want to do it once and do it right!! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i believe it gets installed dry. make sure the oil pan is perfectly flat and straight on the mounting flange, and that you use the reinforcing strips. make sure they are flat, too. tighten the nuts evenly, starting at the middle and working your way out to the ends- like a cylinder head or intake manifold gasket.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
BPOS, I know what you mean.

I tried a cam change on a ZZ4, just taking off the timing cover, and trying to get the front part of the pan gasket to seal....it also leaked...badly...

I ended pulling the motor, and doing it right, replacing the pan gasket.

About the sealer, just use a small dab of Permatex Ultra-black at the timing cover to block joints, and the same amount on the rear cap seams.

This is direct info from a GM tech bulletin.

·
Registered
955 Posts
You're getting great advise. One note for the future, If you do a cam change again with the engine in the car, loosen the oil pan bolts first. Start at the front and go all the way back. You want to remove the first four bolts on each side so the pan drops down about 3/4 to 1 inch then remove the timing cover. You won't ruin the oil pan gasket by doing this unless you try to pry on the pan and damage it. Reinstall in reverse order. Don't forget the sealant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts