Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides swapping the flex plate for a flywheel, is there anything else I need to put my muncie behind a new ZZ4? I am not sure, someone mentioned something about a pilot bearing. Does the ZZ4 come with the pilot bearing on the crankshaft?

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Don't know if the ZZ4 comes with a pilot bushing or not (probably not, if it has a flexplate); instead of the $5.00 bronze one, get the $12.00 needle bearing one instead (from your Chevy dealer or Moroso, etc.) - they don't wear, and last forever.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
148 Posts
My ZZ4 didn't come with a pilot bushing. Definately do the needle bearing one. GM Performance parts makes a lightweight flywheel for it that allows your engine to rev quicker - not alot more money either. Keep in mind that the ZZ4 has the one piece rear main seal, so you need the newer style flywheel that has a smaller/different pattern bolt circle.

·
Registered
501 Posts
School's still out on which type of pilot bearing is best for the street. Many will tell you that a bronze pilot 'bushing' (it's really not a bearing) will last much longer than the roller bearings, which if they fail, (dry up) will require complete removal of tranny, clutch, etc. You might look further into this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts